Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardeners Beware

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Gardeners Beware

Looking to turn cold guys, so I've just brought in my baby chilli plants from our greenhouse where the temperature has already dropped to 10 degrees. Clear skies cold night methinks. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/22/cold-snap-will-send-uk-temperatures-tumbling

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Gardeners Beware

Gonna be quite tropical down here tonight.... lowest temp is 10c.. but in Aberystwyth it will be 4 c....   and I forsee a frost coming along for Monday to Wednesday mornings.. so be careful with your plants. 

Community Veteran

@shutter

Been down to Portsmouth today to see my daughter and it was positively summery this afternoon. Had to take my jumper off (and that's saying something!). 

@Minivanman

I tried pruning my chillis at the end of last year to just the central stem and a few leaves to support the plant. They all survived and are now as big as they were at the end of last year's growing season. Might be worth you giving that a try this year. They don't seem to mind a prune and if you repot them immediately and keep them in a moderate temperature, like a cool inside window sill, they make slow progress in the winter. The wife says she doesn't know what to do with the fruit so we've been pickling them to add to cooking.

Community Veteran

I found it was handy to dry any excess I had when growing chillies.

Minivanman
Hero

@billnotben

We string ours up and hang 'em on a hook in the kitchen. Put in a plastic bag or container and then freezing should also work? Not tried that m'self though. Smiley

Thanks for the pruning tip @nozzer, never even thought of that Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman    Er  ? ?   what pruning tip would that be  ?

Minivanman
Hero

Sorry, meant @nozzer

It's an age thing Sad

PS. Now edited Thumbs Up