Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden waste

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Garden waste

Getting to that time of year folks when we need to get rid of our mounting piles of garden waste - so what are the options.

Tried a couple compost bins as the first port of call, but given that we have a small garden and it's still hanging (and smelling) around after a couple or years that one has not worked out well for us.

Incinerating seems to work but only for small volumes as out here in the west of Wales it just nevers seems to be dry enough for long enough in order to burn and when we do try, it just smokes for days on end like some twenty four hour barbeque - which sort of smells nice but...

Our 'local' (50 mile round trip away) recycle centre no longer accepts garden waste - something to do with keeping attendance numbers down because of Covid so that leave me with one last option, and that's to get it collected every two weeks by the bin men.

And the problem with that?

Well we have to pay £40 a year for this extra service which is fine, but there are only the two months of October and November to go before collections ends and to have it collected for that period I would have to pay the full amount - which means I cannot start to get it collected until the service kicks back in next March when on prepayment of another £40, they will supply me with one of those large green bins to put my by then non existent garden waste in having already put it out bit by bit with my household waste... every fortnight. 

Don't make it easy to 'do the right thing' do they.  

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
20 REPLIES 20
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Re: Garden waste

Not good is it?

Here we pay £49 pa for a 240 litre garden waste bin which is collected fortnightly throughout the year.

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/garden-shredders/article/how-to-buy-the-best-garden-shredder

Once shredded.. it will compost down quicker... and also you could use the shredded waste as a mulch on open ground between plants/shrubs etc in borders, to suppress weeds, and as it breaks down then it gives back nutrients in to the ground...

This one is a penny cheaper than an ARGOS one ( next listing)  but argos also want £3.20 postage ! .  ( this one is FREE DELIVERY)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Challenge-2400W-Impact-Garden-Shredder-Free-90-Day-Guarantee/373124562197...

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

You just beat me to it @shutter, I was just about to make a similar suggestion.

RobPN
Hero

I found the 2200W version of the 2500W one in the video below locally on eBay (used but good condition) a few years ago for £50

I'd done a bit of research on t'internet as @shutter suggests above and the video 'sold it to me' as I wanted it to dispose of large quantities of laurel hedge branches.  What is normally a huge pile of branches to dispose of, I can now reduce to fit inside one or one and a half of those 1 cubic metre delivery sacks you get from builders merchants, where it can be left to just compost down.

Although it's good for the purpose described above it's no good for soft stuff for which a different type would be required.

Fascinating to watch the branches being eaten by the shredder though, basically if it'll go through the slot at the top, it'll be crushed and cut to small ;nuggets', and very quiet too.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Not something I'd thought of.

Thanks, will check 'em out.

PS. They look interesting and would pay for itself in part at least by not having to fork out (geddit) forty quid for collection plus of course I'd not have that bin taking up room which I don't really have.

All hail the poster tipsters! 

No pun intended that time.😂 

PPS. Much better as well of course to put the goodness back in the ground as mulch than just taking it to the tip. 

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero

Not trying to make any environmentally unfriendly suggestions or give you those sort of ideas @Minivanman, but it's surprising what this pair using the same shredder as in the video above can get into a standard carrier bag.  Smiley

TTman
Seasoned Champion

In Leeds all the green waste goes to the council gardening arm and is composted to be used in the parks and gardens round the city. So saves money for the council and not wasted. Also Leeds grows all its own plants at a purpose built Garden center open to the public.   https://www.theariumleeds.co.uk/ Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@RobPN 

That’s the puzzle, finding a shredder that can cope with both types of material, I try to put the hard and soft stuff alternatively but at times it can jam and needs clearing out...

On a more general note you cannot go wrong if you mix the shredded wood with a equal amount of grass clippings and the odd cardboard box thrown it......never throw food in as it attracts virmin and flies....keep damp but never soaking.

£40 here in Lancashire for emptying brown bins and a similar amount if you want a replacement bin.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

And if you use a shredder.....stand well back,

A smack across the face from one of those branches whipping about as seen in that video will remind you if you forget !

😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Similar her in Carmarthenshire @TTman where it's mixed with food waste it's turned into a produced under the name of Merlins Magic.  🙂

https://www.cwmenvironmental.co.uk/services/composting-facilities/

By the way, Mrs Minivanman asked if there was not a problem with weeds if they go into the shredder and are returned to the soil as mulch.

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Everything goes in my normal bin. A bag or two of garden waste every now and then keeps it clean and tidy.

Even my old gas cooker with eye level grill went in the bin. Bit at a time of course.

I pay more than enough council tax a year without "subscribing" to all the councils little extras.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Now you have given me an idea!

download.jpg

Thomas A. Edison
Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Derbyshire CC, all our bins are emptied for free including garden waste. (Though paid for by Council Tax)
And all recycling goes in the one bin, sorted out by recycling depot.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Lægen 

Must be one of the few Councils that are not up to their ears in debt then.

Talk about missing out on the chance of screwing more money out of it's residenst!

Thomas A. Edison