Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden waste

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Garden waste

We have to buy our bins at £30 each and pay £17 per year to have them emptied every two weeks, except Dec & Jan which is once a month. We can have a max of 4.

I had a garden shredder but it wouldn't cut anything over 1" diameter and was extremely hard on the hands because of vibration when feeding it through. Mind you that was 25yrs ago so perhaps they have improved since then.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mayfly wrote:

I had a garden shredder but it wouldn't cut anything over 1" diameter and was extremely hard on the hands because of vibration when feeding it through. Mind you that was 25yrs ago so perhaps they have improved since then.

Excuse the pun @Mayfly but that sounds as if it was one of those noisy so-called 'rapid' type; the type shown in the videos I posted are much more suited to small branches up to about 40mm in diameter and are self-feeding once the end of the branch engages with the relatively slowly revolving cutter.  No vibration transferred to your hands and fairly quiet.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

My district council provide a wheelie bin for our gargen waste which is free. They are emptied every week all year round.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The system seems very unfair to me....

The level of council services vary between councils, yes it up to them how they spend our money but we are one country why should services not be equal across the country ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

I also bought a domestic (dustbin type) incinerator for garden & other waste 2 years ago.

Not needed it yet !

A while back, after we moved to a previous house, there were two very large conifers outside the front porch.

I removed these, and over the course of a few months sawed into bite-sized sections, bin bagged, and into a spare general waste bin, in the days before recycling.

No problems.

More recently, we had several medium sized trees in our garden, this time we paid a gardener to remove them, after one day they were gone !

They used a commercial tree shredder, noisy but effective.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@RobPN wrote:

@Mayfly wrote:

Excuse the pun @Mayfly but that sounds as if it was one of those noisy so-called 'rapid' type; the type shown in the videos I posted are much more suited to small branches up to about 40mm in diameter and are self-feeding once the end of the branch engages with the relatively slowly revolving cutter.  No vibration transferred to your hands and fairly quiet.

I think it was an 'Atco'? Red/orange in colour with an angled tube you fed the branch through. I think it was supposed to be self feeding but it didn't, the branch just bounced around in the tube as it skipped over the blade, hence having to keep pressure on it and vibrating your hand and arm to jelly. 😥