cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Residents

Fixes: 47

Garden Residents

I've just taken my wheelie bin round to the roadside and it was crunch squelch all the way up the path.
It's a long time since I've seen so many slugs and snails in one place.
A person responsible for a large public garden says the weather has been very good for these creatures and it has more than doubled their normal numbers.
My next door neighbour who grows lots of vegetables is fighting a losing battle.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Garden Residents

Yeah, we have loads of them too.... missus puts slug pellets down, and they leave a big gooey mess on the decking in the morning after the rain.... I think they explode or something....
also been getting them  in the kitchen.... can see their trails all over the kitchen carpet... yuk... more slug pellets under the cupboards.!... hope they go outside to explode  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ewwwww!
You can 'trap' the blighters instead just by leaving a very small amount in the bottom of your beer can then just chuck the can in the garden, easy to clear up in the morning and you'd be surprised how many of these nasty slimy things a single can will trap.  If you have a real 'infestation' then best not to drive in the morning as you'll need lots of cans!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

We used to place scrunched up newspaper into a few plant pots which were then turned upside down and left on top of sticks pushed into the ground so that the pot is at least an inch or so off.
What I can't remember is how we got rid of the slugs once captured in the newspaper.
Suggestions, please Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Sell the slugs to some French people then recycle the newspaper?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Instead of slug pellets, have you tried Nemaslug ?
This is great for large areas, effective for longer than slug pellets in wet weather, and the dead slugs don't litter the garden.
As the nematodes invade the slug, it will stop feeding and will burrow underground to die. As it decomposes in the soil, the nematodes are released back into the soil to search out more slugs and the whole process starts again.

http://www.nemasysinfo.com/slugs.shtml
http://www.nemaslug.org.uk/
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=22&cat=35&id_product=47
Community Veteran

Posted this in another thread yesterday.  Slugs are a big problem this year.
Slugs
Community Veteran

[quote=BBC News - 4 July 2012]Are British slugs under threat?
A "super breed" of slugs has arrived from Spain, but are they a threat to the UK's native slugs?
The wet weather has resulted in myriad problems for people around the country and now there is another - it has helped a "super breed" of slug from Spain flourish in the UK.
Numbers of the creature commonly known as the Spanish stealth slug, Arion flagellu, are growing fast in the UK - helped by the wet weather - and threatening native molluscs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18672728
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav

put them in the 'green bin' and send them off on a council paid holiday.
Community Veteran

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Mav

Encourage hedgehogs  Wink
Community Veteran

How do you encourage hedgehogs? Provide plenty of slugs for them to eat?
True though, hedgehogs do like to eat slugs and should be welcomed.
Call me 'w23'
randpwar
Grafter

Ther's some good advice below. But I think that they are creatures of habit and tend to have 'runs' that they follow each night so whether they'll find your garden (assuming they haven't already) or not I guess is doubtful; no harm in trying though  Smiley
I've seen 'ours' 4 or 5 times this 'summer', a big lad as well, haven't needed to leave water out for him this year as in previous years
http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/facts/hedge.htm
Fixes: 47

Looks like I need to kidnap a couple of hedgehogs as ours seems to have found pastures new.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you Strat I haven't got as many hedgehogs this year as in previous years.