cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Ornament Help Needed.

Fixes: 292

Garden Ornament Help Needed.

In my back garden there is an ornamental concrete 'bowl' about 2.5 feet in diameter by 6" deep.

It stands on a large concrete pedestal and inside the bowl is a fancy concrete water feature.

Unfortunately, sometime in the past (guessing one winter) the water in the bowl froze and cracked it into 3 large pizza like pieces.

The bowl as a whole is still held together, presumably by internal reinforcing but it leaks through the cracks and needs topping up 2 or 3 times a day.

My question is what can I use to seal the cracks as I would like to keep it as the birds love it.

I tried some silicone sealer which worked for a while until it set and cracked.

I bought a tin of black mastic but when I tested a small amount it clearly wasn't going to dry and I didn't want birds going in for a bath brown and coming out sticky black.

What I could do with is something like a spray can of polythene if such a thing exists.

PS. This concrete item was offered to us by my late wife's brother-in-law.

She said yes without a moment's thought and our poor little old Megané had to carry it home...it weighs a ton....metaphysically.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 68.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
16 REPLIES 16
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Re: Garden Ornament Help Needed.

@Strat What about something from this range?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Strat 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pond-Paint-Sealer-Clear-500g/dp/B003ZGBWTY/ref=sr_1_17?adgrpid=56940182081&...

The first review says "I used this product to seal a tiered fountain and found it to be very successful".

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
TTman
Pro

@Strat Have you thought of mixing a cement slip (cement and water) adn brushing it on the inside. Start with a watery mix paint it on and allow to dry then make a thicker mix and cover the inside of the bowl again. That may seal it . Just a thought dont know if it will work but others may be able to advise you further.Cool smiley

Thanks for your responses guys.

Fixes: 559

or gals Tongue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What about a waterproof cement mix. My sewer down pipe split open one year that's about a six inch stump that pokes out of the ground that the plastic down pipe goes into. I tried fixing in with ordinary cement but that gets damp and crumbles in winter. Then I noticed Aldi were doing buckets of a pre mixed waterproof cement. Made up a surround to pour it in and it has been there over seven years now no problem.

I assume you can probably just buy an additive to mix with the cement if you can't find any pre mixed.

@dvorak wrote:
or gals Tongue

I was using 'guys' in its gender neutral form just to be safe Wink

Minesapint
Grafter

What about epoxy like Araldite?

Most of the epoxies seem to be fairly safe once they've gone off.

You can get food safe I believe as well.

(Thinking of the wildlife drinking from the bath.)

Some of the various gloops available seems to be less "friendly"

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 85

I would coat the inside with fibreglass resin, cover it with matting and finish with a smooth top cap of fibreglass resin.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

@Strat  Make your own birdbath.

Get two METAL dustbin lids... ( the one`s that have the "fluted" pattern.. remember them??)

Take the handle off one....  fill the other with some quick setting cement..and press the one with no handle into it to form the "inner " dish.

wait for 24  hours.. to make sure that it is properly "cured" and that is it ..

or you could check out some of these

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+yoour+own+cement+bird+bath

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm all for repairing stuff as you'll know from my posts but quite honestly, I''d dump it - unless you feel it's extra special in which try a few of the suggestions.

Good luck, and don't forget to keep the birdies well supplied in the meantime!

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Strat 

I was going to suggest the same as Baldrick1 yesterday, but I've just had another similar idea.

How about going all posh and lining it with some mosaic tiles such as these?

They should stick well if you make sure the inner surface of the concrete is clean, maybe use a cup wire brush on a small angle-grinder or drill.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Strat 

Another simpler / quicker / maybe cheaper idea - what about a few strips of Flashband along the cracks?  If you do use it, make sure you use the primer as if done properly it will stick like the proverbial **** to a blanket.  Again, make sure the surface is properly prepared.

Plenty of YouTube videos are available ...

Edit: typo

Highlighted

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

I've ordered some of the stuff @nozzer suggested in post #3 but thanks to you lot I have loads of backup options Smiley