Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Incinerator.... Holes ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Garden Incinerator.... Holes ?

Garden Incinerator, Holes all over, or just around the base ?

in al holes.jpgIn low holes.jpg

15 REPLIES
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Garden Incinerator.... Holes ?

I would suggest - mostly at the base, but a few higher up too. Base will need most air, so the contents burns fro the bottom, but the upper part will need some air too.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Same here, most of the holes at the bottom, but a few near the top, oh, and a frying pan on the top of the chimney bit.  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
the_groundsman
Grafter

Please don't burn - compost if you can. Much kinder to the planet and to your neighbours

Infinity
Pro

the_groundsman wrote:

Please don't burn - compost if you can.

It's for use in the Garden....

(Should there be a Bin Strike !)

Suitable home waste, or for offcuts of wood...

It may never get used !

All garden waste is put in a large Green bin, and emptied for free by the local Council.

Fixes: 47

Infinity wrote:

All garden waste is put in a large Green bin, and emptied for free by the local Council.

Here North of the border (Derbyshire/Yorkshire) they charge us £55 per year for that privilege.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

We have previously been informed that the Green Waste is composted and then sold at a profit, so it is self funding !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'd go for holes at the bottom, though my local ironmongers will sell you a bag of spare holes if you ask them nicely.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Champnet
Rising Star

Strat wrote:

Infinity wrote:

Here North of the border (Derbyshire/Yorkshire) they charge us £55 per year for that privilege.

Here in the East, Council charges £39 to remove garden waste.

For once I think this is good value for the money. Previously garden waste had to be bagged and taken to the local tip several miles away, then a very long queue in a very smelly site usually in the heat of the summer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

the_groundsman wrote:

Much kinder to the planet and to your neighbours

Burning releases carbon, plants trap carbon and produce Oxygen, without that carbon, they die off, without plants producing oxygen, we die, burning garden waste is good for the planet and for us, even our neighbours, just don't burn stuff when it's wet producing the most smoke... Smiley

the_groundsman
Grafter

Don't worry about not having enough CO2. Too many greenhouse gases out there. No plants are dying back because there isnt enough CO2 Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Of course it will rust and fall apart after a few years - which is why I built a brick one with steel bars in the bottom and a rake out area underneath to allow the air to be sucked up (about 30 inch x 30 inch internal x 4ft 6 inch high) but this was for heavy branches and sticks which wouldn't compost

I have since bought a chipper and use the chippings as a mulch

Fixes: 47

AlaricAdair wrote:

though my local ironmongers will sell you a bag of spare holes if you ask them nicely.

You have to be very specific about the size you need as there is a bewildering variety of sizes.

You can get a 100 hole assortment on Amazon but I have found that there is never enough of the size you need.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

They don't last long before the bottom falls out.

The lid on mine was still good so with a coat of hammerite it went on top of my water butt.

I now have a mini incinerator. An ancient lidded bread bin that I drilled suitable holes in.

Used solely for the necessary burning of various bills and statements.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

billnotben wrote:

I now have a mini incinerator. An ancient lidded bread bin that I drilled suitable holes in.

Used solely for the necessary burning of various bills and statements.

I've seen several people use a stainless steel drum from an old washing machine for that purpose.

Myself, I prefer a 'proper' one made from an old oil-drum, one end cut out and a few holes made with the pointed end of a pick.  Wink