cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Door Grease?

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Garage Door Grease?

Can ayone recommend an effective grease to put on the garage door to stop the squeaks
as I open it?
Thanks
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Garage Door Grease?

Molybdenum Disulfide grease, aka bog-standard every day grease available from many a motor shop... Grin
Community Veteran

Where is it squeaking? Why kind of garage door?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: twocvbloke
Molybdenum Disulfide grease, aka bog-standard every day grease available from many a motor shop... Grin

That's horrible black gungy stuff. It'll get all over the place. A spray lithium based grease might be better and you could direct it where it's needed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I used to have an up-and-over steel garage door which must have been 50 years old. It came with the property we purchased three years ago.  Last year the door was getting increasingly stiff to open. Being a handy sort of a chap I sprayed the hinge runners and the large spiral spring with lithium grease. The freedom of movement was considerably improved. The next time I opened the door, I was alone, but gave it a swift upwards tug to open it. I suffered an excess of door opening. It sprang up and off its runner mechanism. No way could I persuade the door to return to its runners. The spring was too strong. The door was suspended at an angle over my car, threatening to drop any time.  I was able to tie off the door with some fencing wire so it didn't collapse onto my car. I had to use an angle grinder to cut through and release the hinges and the main spring.  I'd not realised the extent of tension on the spring. As I made the final cut it rapidly unravelled spraying dirty grease over a wide area including me and the car. Fortunately I was wearing safety glasses because of my use of an angle grinder so I just got a dirty face.
What I'd not realised is one of the hinges had been screwed into untreated wood many moons ago. Over the years the wooden support had rotted and with the extra "travel" afforded by me greasing the runners caused the hinge support to collapse. 
The moral is: "No good deed goes unrewarded"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: nozzer
That's horrible black gungy stuff. It'll get all over the place.

Yes, but unlike lithium grease, it doesn't dry out and turn to crusty mess... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Elbow grease works wonders.
Cheesy
chuffchuff
Rising Star

Quote from: AndyH
Where is it squeaking? Why kind of garage door?

It is a metal up and over door, a Garador Mk 3c.
The squeal is from the new bushes (at the side) as the door opens.
When we moved in at the end of January I had a repair man fit new bushes
as the garage door had not been opened for 20 years.
Beautiful garage, quite large, clean & dry inside, door in perfect condition,
just had not been used for 20 years. Lock had been painted over so that was replaced.
Door is very smooth now but squeals!
Community Veteran

At least a squeal in the night would alert you that someone is trying to nick your car.