cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game show hosts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Game show hosts

I used to quite admire Nick Knowles as a game show host, with a casual common touch, but he's getting a bit one dimensional these days, with his slightly tiresome delivery of possible winnings e.g. f  i  v  e thousandpounds. The only thing different being the name of the show. Its probably not his fault that many of his shows are around at the same time, leading to over-exposure, With the possible exception of the lottery shows they are almost certainly recorded some time ago, Also not his fault that two of his shows have a similar soundproof isolation element.
By far the best at present in my opinion is Alexander Armstrong in the tea time slot of Pointless. It is said that all of these shows are scripted to the split second, he and his co-presenter Richard's amusing repartee seems very slick and spontaneous at times. Although having two presenters, one of whom largely repeats what the other said, is perhaps in itself er! pointless, but at least he has the saving grace to make a joke of it sometimes.
But I do wish all of them would stop asking perspective winning contestants what they would do with the money if they won it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
30 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Game show hosts

I cannot stand Nick Knowles............I find him slimy and scruffy looking - get a shave man Angry      I can`t understand why he seems to be the "darling" of the BBC.  I don`t know who I dislike most, him or Vernon Kaye !
Quite impressed with Matt Alwright on The Exit List.  Bradley Walsh on The Chase is good, has a good connection with the contestants and the Chasers but sometimes struggles to make himself understood on some of the questions.
pin2011
Grafter

I thought it was only me that does not appreciate the 'over exposure of Nick  on what appears to be every quiz show on TV. I would rather watch the very old episodes of Last of the Summer Wine. Much more 'Entertaining' than all those quiz shows. The one exception is eggedds but this is also becoming a bore when all the supposed challengers don't know any general knowledge - well thats the way it appears.
Huh
Fixes: 105

never heard of Nick Knowles...
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had to look im up
Community Veteran

I have to agree about Alexander Armstrong and Pointless.  I'm not one for quiz programmes but this one is very good Smiley Smiley
jmd
Grafter

I am another that finds Nick Knowles boring in the way he presents things like Perfection.  However, I really enjoy Pointless as I think the two on there make it entertaining and interesting.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Alexander Armstrong is just as annoying as Nick Knowles IMO.. especially on those annoying Direct Line adverts.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: annerimmington
I can`t understand why he seems to be the "darling" of the BBC. 
Bradley Walsh

The BBC has done the over-exposure thing before I think.  I'm not sure it might have been Anneka Rice, but there was a period of time whenever the TV was turned on there she would be (or whoever who's name I can't remember, but was definitely a female) She would complain about the BBC's lack of planning acumen by putting all her pre-recorded programmes on virtually back to back.
The problem with Bradley Walsh is his self-love of Bradley Walsh. However he's not the only TV personality in this category. Step forward Bruce Forsyth, Dale Winton and several others.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think if the BBC or any broadcaster has signed these people up they try to get their moneys-worth out of them by over exposing them.  Graham Norton is one I can't stand and he is for ever popping up on the screen.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
The problem with Bradley Walsh is his self-love of Bradley Walsh. However he's not the only TV personality in this category. Step forward Bruce Forsyth, Dale Winton and several others.

I think all A-List celebrities are like that though in reality aren't they? - I've never heard of one yet who doesn't like their time in the spotlight.
Fixes: 47

Pointless with Alexander Armstrong is one of my favourite games shows although I do wonder if there is any cheating going on when Richard asks Alexander to go through the missing answers and he usually gets most.

Quote from: Petlew
But I do wish all of them would stop asking perspective winning contestants what they would do with the money if they won it.

Could be worse....like "just look what you could have won" in Bullseye
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Must be said, I'm not a big fan of game shows in general if I'm honest. I get bored far too quickly especially with general knowledge based shows. Gladiators had me a bit better entertained but even that became boring after a few shows!
Blockbusters was also incredibly boring but I used to enjoy the music and the city flyby at the opening..
Who wants to be a millionaire.. Great for the first episode or two and incredibly dull after.
I suppose they're ok if you have a family around you to watch it with or you don't take it all too seriously and just like to see what happens but I've just never been interested in most gameshows. I prefer to watch things like "How its made" and "How do they do it" on Quest and similar shows like that.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Sprite
I prefer to watch things like "How its made" and "How do they do it" on Quest and similar shows like that.

Ah...now you're talking about interesting stuff Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One of the best team quizzes is Only Connect with Victoria Coren.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)