cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Shows and the Gambling Commission

annerimmington
Grafter

Game Shows and the Gambling Commission

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2113217/Deal-No-Deal-faces-Gambling-Commission-probe-TV-game...
Let`s face it there aren`t many game shows that DO involve an element of skill.   I can think of only a handful including Countdown (is that classed as a game show), Weakest Link and The Chase (the chasers providing the skill)  where the contestants are supposed to have  good general knowledge (but judging by some of the contestants I would say that is debatable)!!!       I couldn`t imagine my teatime Deal or No Deal being taken off air - I`m addicted to it  Sad      Quite possibly the worst game show (and hopefully it won`t be returning) is Red or Black - whoever came up with that idea needs sacking (I did hear it was Simon Cowell ?)
6 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Game Shows and the Gambling Commission

I would have thought that veas Game shows would have a gambling licence, if thay do not have a gambling licence it is Time to call Time on veas Game shows.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Since a contestant can only leave the studio richer, but never poorer, I fail to see what business it is of the gambling commission.  Crazy
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

@4C I have to agree with you there.  People poking their noses in where they are not wanted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Surely, gambling implies that a contestant would need to pay for a stake at odds in the outcome of the show. I suppose dedicated gamblers may be tempted to have a go but I suspect there would be few who would take part under those circumstances. Contestants who "gamble" winnings they have won during the course of the programme** would not be in the same position since they started with nothing and the worst they can do is return to their status quo.
** "Play your cards right" being an example. But there are others. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If what I read in the Sunday papers is to believed (!) the "logic" was along the lines that the DOND contestant chose a box containing the promise of an unknown amount  at random but then "gambled" that.
I don't accept that TV game shows totally lack skills. Some require a lot more than others but even multiple choice when one doesn't know the answer can utilise some skill in estimating the more probable answer.
There is no skill in winning a prize in DOND (at least 1p is guaranteed). There is skill in evaluating whether the banker's offer is a good one given the amounts yet to be revealed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Looks like another quango suitable for being scrapped by Mr Cameron has just brought itself to light  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!