cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gambling Adverts.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Gambling Adverts.

Seems some sports are realising that gambling adverts are inappropriate.....took them a long time to reach this conclusion and no doubt made millions from displaying such adverts.

Personally I would ban advertisements on gambling in the press tv and sports stadiums.

I do not gamble and have never had enough money to gamble anyway but I have been in places where roulette was taking place and was amazed those who were playing could not see the obvious.....instead of watching their own numbers they would have been better watching how many losing chips were cleared from the table once the wheel stopped spinning.

Clear who the winners were......You only need to look at pictures of the hotels in Vegas to see where some of the losers money is being spent.

20 REPLIES 20
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Re: Gambling Adverts.

Two types of adverts I would like to see totally discontinued....

Any kind of gambling... but in particular... those "bingo" ads, where people can hooked on their phones, leading to worse situations...

the other kind is those "so-called" life insurance adverts for the "over 50`s"...

It amazes me that the "insurance" companies can actually be proud to announce that "inflation will reduce the value"... "you will get nothing back, if payments stop"...   " the amount of money you pay in will  may be less than what is paid out on death"...

A legal con, that the financial world should be ashamed of.... in the same way as all those "pay day loan" companies, and PPI.

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Appreciate the comments but surely folks should use a bit of common sense otherwise the banning of such adverts is the thin edge of the wedge. If not gambling and life insurance, then why not equity release or those lottery adverts.

Mind you, truth be told at times I'd be more than happy if they banned adverts all together.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

As I never watch them, I don't really care either way, but totally agree with @Minivanman about the use of common sense - a fast-disappearing commodity these days, it seems.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

As my dad used to say "Common sense is not very common".

The government are just as bad.

How many people have you spoken to, where you have asked:

Me: "Why have you given up smoking?".
Them: "As they stopped advertising on TV, magazines, plain packets (as I really admired the logo as opposed to what is inside). Then they're not on display anymore, so I have to ask for what I want! The warnings got bigger, so I had to take them more seiously.

I don't gamble, especially when I went to a friend from Uni's stag doo and seen animal crutely at horse racing. . Never doing that again, would rather sit in a pub. Oh Well as Fleetwood Mac said.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Appreciate the comments but surely folks should use a bit of common sense otherwise the banning of such adverts is the thin edge of the wedge. If not gambling and life insurance, then why not equity release or those lottery adverts.

Mind you, truth be told at times I'd be more than happy if they banned adverts all together.

Accept the points you make but there are a number of people who cannot afford to gamble but do so, often these are poor people who perhaps think the only way to get out of their current situation is to win a lot of money.

Some research has also claimed that a number of gamblers get a ‘high’ out of gambling which can be similar to those taking illicit drugs bit like some who get addicted to alcohol or other things, why some are affected and most are not I doubt anyone knows, if you reduce the temptation than I would suggest you reduce the number who get drawn into the gambling web.
Not suggesting all gambling adverts be stopped but ones that reach large audiences such as mentioned in my first post.

Community Veteran

From a personal experience......

When I was in Married Quarters, the guy next door to me had two kids of early skool years... and he used to go to the bookies regularly, and bet on horses he had picked out during the night time watch keeping periods.  He did win quite often, and he had the sense to save his winnings , which paid for his kids birthday and christmas presents, and probably a few other "luxuries".   One Saturday, when we were both "off watch" at the same time, he asked me if I wanted to go to the bookies with him... never having been before, I thought it might be "fun"  and an experience... he did warn me... "Do not bet more than you can afford to lose today".... and asked me how much I had as a limit to spend.. I said a tenner... which he said was fair enough..( remember, we are talking about the late 1960`s, so a tenner was quite a lot of money then)... Anyway... we went and I placed a bet... didn`t win... placed another.... won a couple of quid.... YIPEEE !.. this is great fun... placed another.... lost it... placed another... lost it... and so the afternoon progressed...

As the money limit was running out, I could sense that I was getting "hooked" and wanted to "chase my losses"... thinking that the next one would be the big one...

fortunately, my mate, could see the signs... and took control... saying it was time to go home again,... even though he still had a couple of bets to place...

I`m grateful to him, to this day, for that.....

it was a lesson well learned... and I have never bet anything since. 

though I did start to do the national lottery, but again.. decided that I was better off with the £100 a year in MY pocket, rather than those of whoever was running it...

Hero
Fixes: 30

@shutter wrote:

...though I did start to do the national lottery, but again.. decided that I was better off with the £100 a year in MY pocket, rather than those of whoever was running it...

Yeah, that's definitely a mug's game - for people who don't understand probability.

OK I suppose if you don't mind losing £100 or more a year.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I still remember when I was a kid being led out of my house by my Mum. As well as my Gran we also had a lodger. To make ends meet I guess but I didn't know this as a kid.

Anyway all I was wondering, as the policeman entered our house, was why was our lodger taking so long looking in the oven.

Many years later I learned he'd been a hard bitten gambler. He'd just been paid that day and had already lost all his wages.

Personally I've never understood any of the ads where they say when it stops being fun stop - or something similar.

Probably because where some will say - that will increase my chances of winning. I will be thinking that will reduce my chances of losing. Sometimes it's good be have a glass half empty outlook.

Community Veteran

"When the FUN stops.  -   STOP "... 

Is the gambling fraternity "get out of jail" clause.... in other words... WE are not making you gamble, and WE are not making you an addict... so you can`t blame us ...if you keep gambling and get into terrible debt, lose your home, and your family, or go on to drugs, or burglary, or robbery......

cos we told you ...

"When the FUN stops   - STOP"... 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I'd like to see Gambling adverts binned too. They deliberately make gambling look like a fun, trendy and classy thing to do - as if you're not part of the gang if you don't do it. That's utterly wrong and the easily influenced / those who are vulnerable will be easily led into thinking they should be doing it - spending money they can't really afford in the process.

Years ago i had a friend who was hooked on fruit machines. He was always borrowing money from people to play them (myself included). I never did get any of it back but worse for him he destroyed countless friendships and created a very bad name for himself. Then he'd go to church every Sunday saying it was good because he could repent his sins ready for the week ahead.

I frequently worry about the future of this country for my son and his peers. So many young people are easily led or fooled into thinking they know better than their elders who've been around longer and seen more. He's got no sense of fear and if it looks appealling / fun, he wants to know. Unfortunately his grandfathers are both selfish ****s when it comes to other peoples money as is one of his grandmothers, the other one being deceased but sincere. I was smart enough not to get into drink, drugs, gambling etc but so few of my generation could stay away from them and would get hooked at a young age. Even now i cringe at buying a lotto ticket yet i've known loads of people who will spend stupid money on fags or booze and think nothing of it.

Yes I'm in favour of getting rid of gambling adverts. I'd also like to see the gambling TV stations / shows that are on the telly late at night go offline too. The entire industry is riddled with "join us today and we'll give you free credit - that you can never get a payout on". One particular company claimed in it's small print you had to win 95 times in a row to get a payout from that free credit - showing that it's only ever the house that wins.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Aspiring Legend

One of the reasons (apart from Piers Morgan) that I stopped watching TV Am was because of that constant 'win thousands of pounds' and some top of the range car or other. It was just so all 'in your face' and really wound me up when all I wanted to do was to watch some lighthearted news over my morning cornflakes.

It was not the £2 entry fee although fat chance of that from me, it was the loud mouth interruptions aimed at the gullible.

Been some time now, but switching on this morning and up popped ITV from last nights viewing by the Mrs - and what should come up almost immediately? 

"Your chance to win £70000 and a brand new Jeep Wrangler. All you have to do is...."

Arghhh!

Click.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@7up wrote:

join us today and we'll give you free credit

When this "all" first started I had a go at that. The only restriction being you could only withdraw winnings of your free ten pounds when over thirty pounds. After a couple of goes I passed thirty, withdraw it and that was that. I never kidded myself that I was on some lucky streak and needed to add more to win more,

Never bothered since as it's all obviously pre-determined, no luck needed. Previously my only gambling had been at work. Group football pools and the like as I've never seen the attraction of gambling.

The ad that made me laugh out loud was the one with the greasy James Bond lookalike pondering the turn of the card. Apparently just being "manly" enough and "courageous" enough to bet your shirt  was enough to ensure a win. Or so the ad suggested.

Community Veteran

Another annoying factor are these celebrities or well known actors who take part in these adverts, some of these people are already well off, do they ever stop and think of the averse affects these adverts do, sadly some people are easily influenced by actors and others and assume if they recommend it then it must be ok.

Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Like that Ian Botham foot circulation machine you mean? Great guy no doubt but he does look a bit of a horses rear in those adverts.

The thought that he needs the money always make me smile as well and no, I'm never tempted. 😆

download (2).jpg