cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gadget freak...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Gadget freak...

As a self confessed gadget freak, I have actually brought something that may be useful rather collecting dust on shelves or tucked away in drawers.

Yes really...

I have purchased a hearing aid induction loop and fitted in my living room to improve watching (and listening to) television. And it works remarkably well. Easy to set up, but getting the loop wire attached to the skirting board was a bit of a challenge. Used a hot-melt glue gun eventually, which worked very well.

Can't understand why I didn't do it years ago. If you're hard of hearing (and I know a few members mention it from time to time) a highly recommended thing to do.

Cost: just over £100, but well worth it, more if you get someone to install it for you.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Gadget freak...

@petlew

Can you let us have more information please, ie: Make model and who sells it.

Does it improve the clarity rather than the volume.

Thanks

Smiley

Community Veteran

No problem Gleneagles:

It was this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JPBWTV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were a couple of glitches with getting it to work properly that actually turned out to be my hearing aids needed to set up correctly and nothing to do with the device at all.

Yes, the clarity is much improved, if you have hearing aids with a "T" setting, and have a public building nearby (banks usually do amongst others, if you can still find one of course) pop in and switch your hearing aid(s) to T, which will give you some idea of the expected improvement in sound quality.

The customer service of this particular company is second to none. Were prepared right from the word go to exchange or refund the cost, but were happy to let me sort out the hearing aid problems with the county Hearing Advisory Service and hospital Audiology, which all took time in getting appointments, disregarding any time delay for return or refund, and putting up with my constant stream of requests for information. Showing genuine concern every step of the way, so unusual these days.

I thoroughly recommend this model, everything you need is in the box, except a hot glue gun if you choose that method, but very small 2mm cable clips are supplied if the want them, if the 50 included is insufficient, they will supply more.

Don't forget though every single piece of furniture will need to be moved so the loop wire can be attached.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Just to elaborate a bit on the hearing aid problems. Hospital Audiology showed on their computer records that my aids were set for "T", but recommended a trip to the county Hearing Advisory Service (HAS) who, took ten seconds to say that the aids were definitely not set for T.

A return to Audiology found, they were set for T but, they were extremely difficult to find the setting correctly, mine are the type that doesn't have a separate T switch, but uses the volume control. The Audiologist got over this by setting the left aid for volume only (it works on both aids) and setting the right aid for program settings (also operating for both aids).

The end result is that the T setting is now very easy to set. and solved all my home induction loop problems. 

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

My S-i-L had one fitted by her husband, that gave some minor assistance; she was very deaf. The big gain was when the NHS fitted a cochlear implant.

@petlew What hearing aid do you have? is it up to date? Until recently I had a pair of NHS digitals with solid closed earmoulds, but they have been replaced by modern NHS models with 3-step volume control, with loop, cross-connection and open fitting.

For me there was no need to get a doctor's referral for a retest at the hospital, due to aids' age, and local hearing services being outsourced to high street.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Fixes: 179

@petlew wrote:

As a self confessed gadget freak, I have actually brought something that may be useful rather collecting dust on shelves or tucked away in drawers.

I blame Amazon for most of the gadgetry stuff I have accumulated. They make it too easy SadEmbarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Fixes: 356

Totally agree @Strat.. prime is a dangerous thing!

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

@Luzern My aids are NHS supplied Over the Ear Orticon Spirt Synergy 2's. Not the very most up-to-date but If there was anything more advanced to suit my particular type of hearing loss I'm sure it would be prescribed.

My biggest problem has been since the right ear aid was prescribed it was fitted with a thin tube corda with retaining tail fitting hook, which I never liked, for the simple reason that it keeps falling out of my ear (I have a similar problem with in-ear headphones, which I simply can't keep in my ears. no amount of pushing and twisting, with and without foam or rubber holding devices will overcome this, so I've given up with them, I have used occasionally the "sports" type that have an over ear hook, but even they slip so far out as to be useless for listening.

It was also noted that by lightly pressing a finger tip in my right ear with the aid in, the sound volume and quality improved 100%, I was given a very technical reason for this that included back-pressures and other reasons, so after a lot of persuading I have finally got a full ear moulding for my right ear as well as my left which has always been a moulding.

Having sneaked along to a high-street shop that sells hearing aids and tested the very latest hidden in-ear type, I immediately suffered the same problem of not being able to keep the things in my ears. I have funny shaped ears!!. So have slightly regrettably returned to the OTE type. I have in the past been asked to re-attend an ear-moulding as the techs thought there was something wrong with them as the shape was so odd. A re-mould was exactly the same, my records have amended to show this now. I understand my older brother has the same problem, so I guess its a family thing.

Community Veteran

I am after a bit of general information regarding hearing aids and the T setting.

I have a modern set of NHS hearing aids, Siemens Tenco S+ but there is no T setting on them, would these work with this type of system ?

The hearing aids can be adjusted using an app but that is limited to Volume, Bass & Treble. There are no other settings.

Thanks.

Luzern
All Star

@petlew Your ears. my glasses! The bridge of my nose is hopeless for holding specs up, do need very light weight ones; dammed expensive.

@gleneaglesI have Tencos too. One ear's rocker switch controls volume, the other's moves me to hearing the preacher at the mike that was T in all but name.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles If they're NHS aids, check with your hospital audiology department, they should be able to tell you if yours are set for T or not. I understand that it is normal practice to set T on. But if they're not, only audiology can program them on. Not difficult but can be time consuming to get an appointment to get it done.

On mine before recent reprogramming the way to switch T on was to press and hold the volume control. But it had to be done within 2 seconds or the aid reverted to normal mode. And that was my problem, I unknowingly kept on switching them back to normal, leading me and the tech at HAS to assume that T wasn't set on my aids. It even fooled an experienced technician.

Community Veteran

@petlew, @Luzern,

Thanks for the information about the hearing aids.

Oddly enough I get my hearing aids and batteries from Specsavers ! Yes they are NHS hearing aids so next time I am in town will go into specsavers and ask about the T setting,  why specsavers ? well no parking problems unlike the hospital !

Smiley

Community Veteran

@Luzern Like you I wear very lightweight specs, more because I like them, but heavier ones did slip quite a lot.

The lenses are or were the last time I had a pair made up £250 each. These were super thin aspheric type, tri-focus, photo-chromatic (sun darkening), with every known anti-reflection and anti-scratch coating that can be applied. Plus the cost of the frames, not a lot of change from £600.

Why don't I go to SpecSavers? I prefer the attention of first class optometrists, you only get one set of eyes, they deserve the best you can get for them, and damn the cost.

I'm actually due for my annual eye-test in February, when I expect a minor change in prescription will mean new lenses, maybe not the frame this time.

Since the last pair, I believe the photo-chromatic coating is now available in Ray-Ban green, I like the idea of that.

Disadvantages, if you break or damage a lens, because the photo-chromatic coating is different each time it is applied, both lenses need to be replaced not just the damaged one. 

Community Veteran

@petlew

Interesting comment about specsavers, Whilst I get my nhs hearing aids from specsavers I do not get my glasses from them !

Due to a issue I had with specsavers over some glasses I went to a independent optometrist and whilst it cost me more the quality of the lens was much better.

Luzern
All Star

@gleneagles diito me and Erin Dors too. They're a bit hit and miss too in who treats you. My indie has had the same practitioners in the small group for years.