cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS causes congestion?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

GPS causes congestion?

Yet another attempt by "them" to introduce road tolls. One of the benefits quoted was reducing congestion on busy roads, but of late I've been wondering if one of the recent causes of congestion is the GPS navigation systems?  I recently had cause to drive up Sheffield way from London. The M1 motorway was overloaded and slow so I turned on my GPS system and instructed it to avoid motorways. The resultant route was a far more pleasant drive and not much different in time from travelling via motorway.
If all drivers increasingly depend on GPS and use the default settings doesn't that automatically concentrate traffic on to the motorways as the most logical route?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: GPS causes congestion?

What you need is TomTom HD Traffic that automatically detects traffic congestion and will redirect you to use a more efficient route.
For more details see - http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/download/HDT_White_Paper.pdf
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not just TomTom
also available on Garmin and Navman
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a quick search
Traffic4England - Real-Time Traffic Alerts for ... - Pocket GPS World
13 Sep 2009 ... Massively popular GPS SatNav community ★★★★★ Click here now___________________________________________.
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file...sid... - Similar
Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Traffic Alerts ... - Pocket GPS World
Massively popular GPS SatNav community ★★★★★ Click here now___________________________________________.
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums... - Similar
Traffic Alerts via TomTom Home - Pocket GPS World
Massively popular GPS SatNav community ★★★★★ Click here now___________________________________________.
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file... - Similar
Pocket Live Wire Traffic/News Reports - Pocket GPS World
25 Apr 2012 ... Pocket Live Wire is a program that originally started out as an addition to CoPilot 3.5 users as a subscription based service. Since then, Live ...
www.pocketgpsworld.com/pocket-live-wire.php - Similar
Spoken Traffic Alerts - Pocket GPS World
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name...t... - Similar
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The M1 motorway was overloaded and slow so I turned on my GPS system and instructed it to avoid motorways. The resultant route was a far more pleasant drive and not much different in time from travelling via motorway.

Until everyone avoids motorways and we start to use the default settings again Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: purleigh
What you need is TomTom HD Traffic

No, no you don't. Tomtoms devices all over the world recently lost the plot and none of them could locate a GPS signal due to a tomtom firmware fault. Their forums were overflowing with angry complains, people who had been stranded in different countries, others who's work depended on it etc. I also suffered from it but luckily had a vague idea where I was going as I'd been there before but I still couldn't get the damned thing to work for 3 days.
Tomtom = the evil of all satnavs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lucky I just bought a Garmin !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: AlaricAdair
The M1 motorway was overloaded and slow so I turned on my GPS system and instructed it to avoid motorways. The resultant route was a far more pleasant drive and not much different in time from travelling via motorway.

Until everyone avoids motorways and we start to use the default settings again Cheesy
I Guess this will depend on which alternative route a driver might take to avoid the motorway. Problem with minor roads is you can easily get stuck behind a tractor or slow moving truck, add traffic lights and roundabouts etc and the journey may not only take much longer (no good if you are in a hurry) and you may even be using more fuel.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@gleneagles
I got a Garmin in January, still trying to make it do what I want.
a)POI  - its treats them in a peculiar way, I thing I  have got then set up to show in a radius from where I am, but if it is on a parallel road 50 ft away it doesnt show them.
b) very good maps and recalculates routes within seconds, but you cant seem to look at the total rout before you start
I also have an old Navman before they were taken over by Mio, the maps are not up to date but
c) the POI, are treated well
d)you can look at the route before you start
Yesterday I was doing a new trip to me and had looked it up on Google maps, that gave they wildly different choices, so fired up both sat navs, Garmin 34 miles Navman 30.5  followed the Navman route there (Lower line shown), came home on the Garmin, thought I had followed the same roads, but no - upper line is garmin  (i also have a I-gotU logger)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I must confess I've given my GPS the same name as my wife. I frequently ignore the nagging voice.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don`t use any satnav...... just plan my route using google maps, get going, and then avoid congestion as I see fit... ( initially check "live traffic" from tom tom before setting off, but this can be useless info 10 mins into the journey!!!  )
{except for roadwork congestion}
most of my long distance driving using motorways, I know "alternative" routes in my head, and local congestion usually has a "go around" using local knowledge.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Slightly off topic  Embarrassed
[quote=BBC News - 16 May 2012]Is it time to get rid of traffic lights?
We rely on traffic lights to tell us when to go. And when to stop. We should replace that with common sense, argues traffic campaigner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18072259
Fixes: 125

Hans Monderman did several experiments on this idea, notably his 'Shared Space' in Friesland, Netherlands, in 1982.
He noted that users (pedestrians/cyclists/motorists) alike became more aware of each other and used fleeting eye contact to make judgements of other's intentions. Traffic appeared to move more smoothly and accidents were reduced.
A similar idea has been introduced in [Exhibition Road in Kensington.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm.... so here I am , in a hurry, at the crossroads, slow down, see a pretty lady coming towards me at same speed on my right.... give her a smile, and she responds with a similar smile, then the guy opposite thinks I`m giving him the come  on, does a right turn in front of me, just as I am pulling away, thinking the pretty lady has given me the go ahead, and she slams into the other side of my car assuming I had smiled at her, to let her pass in front of me......  Shocked
Fleeting glance ? not a chance . Grin