Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP Services

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

GP Services

GPs have changed in some ways over the years but lag behind in other ways
As a lad I remember our first couple of GP didn't bother with a secretary or fancy office you just turned up at the surgery and waited your turn to be seen, If you ever phoned then you usually got to speak to him and out of hours  home visits were common, some gp's even visited you in hospital to check on your progress, I will not bother spelling out what the present system is like as most people already know but what's interesting, and never fails to amaze me are the number of so called modern Health Centres that still seem to use those thick envelopes packed with all your details, surely it would bye easier for all that information to be transferred to computer.
8 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: GP Services

I remember those days - the GP was usually a rather corpulent old bloke wheezing away in an ancient leather chair, faint whiff of cigar smoke around
Our GP surgery/healthcentre now has been computerised for years, no more envelopes stuffed with papers; visit notes all keyed in, often as we are still speaking. They are super-efficient
Community Veteran

Ditto BCG!
I can book an appointment or renew my meds online too!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro

I think the point he was making is that despite all the so called positive changes, 20 years ago the GP knew your name and would happily visit if they were the duty doc, now despite having the same GP for 3 years and seeing him several times a month he has no more idea of my first name than he did on our fist Appt, in addition to that the only out of hours service is A&E, you also generally cant get an Appt unless your booking it 3 days in advance, except that only 1 of the receptionists will allow you to book over the phone in advance of the day your choosing.....

as for notes, mine uses both, all the stuff is on the pc but as soon as the GP has saved the info it prints out for one of the 5 receptionists / clerks to file it away accordingly because they don't believe the PC systems will always be available and they know the physical stuff will be there if needed
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: nanotm
in addition to that the only out of hours service is A&E, you also generally cant get an Appt unless your booking it 3 days in advance, except that only 1 of the receptionists will allow you to book over the phone in advance of the day your choosing.....

clearly some sort of postcode lottery going on here
All the local surgeries in and around Cambridge sub-contract their out-of-hours service to a clinic in town. They will usually try to get you to come in if at all possible, but will make the trip out if absolutely necessary. We are strictly out of area for our GP practice (have been with them for 40 years, never left when the rules changed). We have a sort of understanding now that we will not trouble the surgery for home visits, but realize that as we get older we may have to review that.. As for normal appointments the online service now reserves a block of  appointments for same day booking (though you can't specify which gp). If you want a particular gp it can get tricky as most are part time and do other stuff; but it works fine, we have seen all of them at one time or another.
Also in Addenbrookes we have one of the best university teaching hospitals in the land
The ambulance service in the region is another matter though.....(hope I never have to use it)
Community Veteran

If there is need for a home visit during normal surgery hours the duty doctor will come out to see you. Outside surgery hours we dial 111 and they will direct you to the out-of-hours GP service, hospital, make an appointment for you with your GP practice or if needed call an ambulance.
As for regular appointments with a GP if it's urgent there are same-day appointments available to book from 8am each day. Non urgent appointments can be booked generally up to 3 weeks in advance. These appointments are available online as well as from the reception desk.
As far as I'm aware all surgeries now offer the 111 service.
nanotm
Pro

indeed artmo
the problem is they offer a drop in system from 0900 to 0930 (if all the gp's show up on time that can mean as many as 20 x 10 minute slots)
the out of hours service is crud, answered by some ethnic minority who barely speaks English, certainly doesn't understand it very well and in all 3 cases where I was forced to use the service passed me over to a 999 operator (which was totally unnecessary)
the most recent case was that one of my kids dislocated a finger, but since I don't have transport and am disabled i couldn't take the child to hospital under my own steam, all that was actually needed was a doctor to confirm i could reset the finger in question and strap it up.
not the most outrageous case I'm sure but certainly not a loan incident either, and the primary cause of it is they recruited foreigners to the switchboard on the grounds that there are some 20,000+ foreign nationals in the county and they would be able to provide a better service this way (I'd fully agree with them if they had also hired in people that could speak fluently in more than one language or people that understood to pass you over to the correct nationality without wasting emergency channels)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No doubt from these few comments that the whole range of services vary greatly across the country as do waiting times, treatments available (post code lottery)
The same service should be available for all instead of the current patchwork of services.
A Lot of smaller hospitals have closed which may have no effect those living near the main hospital but if you live miles away it could literally cost you your life.
Same with out of hours GPs they don't know you and may not even have access to your notes and thus your previous history.
Community Veteran

The out-of-hours doctor should have access to your basic information such as, name, address, date of birth and current drugs.