Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMAIL query

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: GMAIL query

@shutter 

I don't think so. It's a feature of the way gmail behaves that "cascades" the email to other sub-folders. See the link earlier describing how gmail works. I'm not sure if it's an IMAP restriction, rather than a gmail format feature. 

Gmail doesn't have folders.  All your messages are saved in All Mail.  Everything else (Inbox, Starred, Drafts, user-labels, etc) are just "views" into a subset of the messages in All Mail.  And since there's only one copy of any message, if you delete it from any label, you're deleting the only copy, so it's gone from all of them.

Give it a try though.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@nozzer  I understand there is only "one" copy.....  but I want that copy to be arriving in my IN box... and not showing anywhere else... including the server it has just been sent from....

In Thunderbird, if I want to save/move a message from the inbox,.. then I do "just that" If I delete the message from the inbox, it goes to the deleted folder, and then I delete it permanently from there.. 

no copies anywhere else, as far as I know...but this "All mail" folder seems to be something new to me using Thunderbird....

From what you are saying... "allmail" in and out,... goes to the all mail folder and copies appear in other folders i.e. in box and sent box... as appropriate,..... and if i move an "in" mail to a saved folder, I am moving a copy of the one in the all mail folder....

If I delete it from the all mail folder I delete it "in total", including the "saved" copy...  ? ? ? ?

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

As @nozzer says the All Mail folder is the way Gmail chooses to organise mail, with everything stored in the All Mail folder and the rest of the folders being "views" i.e. subsets.

@nozzer doesn't appear to have a Gmail account on TBird, So he never sees the All Mail folder - his other mail servers don't do things that way.

If you want to hide the All Mail folder, then in Tbird, select the Gmail account then seect View settings for this account, Synchronisation & Storage, Advanced.

Scroll down to the set of Gmail folders and untick All Mail. However you will then only see mail that appears in the other views.

Worrying about your mail being held on the Gmail server is fairly pointless. By the time you get to see it, whether POP3 or IMAP, Google has already scanned it for keywords and stored them in its files on you so that they can be used to target ads. The only way to avoid this is to make sure you mail goes nowhere near Gmail  i.e. your own domain processed by someone whose revenue stream depends on your cash rather than advertising.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter 

As far as I have read that is correct. Only one "original", in ALL MAIL, deleting that or any copy in any sub-folder also deletes the original. So you end up with a clutter of stuff in ALL MAIL.

Even though I have set my TB to delete the yahoo emails from the server it's always still there, but in the trash folder.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wisty  @shutter 

But he will have to be careful when he's tidying up his folders because he risks losing emails completely. That's why I stopped using gmail. 

You are also correct that it's done that way to scan email in a so-called anonymous way for their own purposes.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@nozzer @wisty @idonno  OK... think I`m getting the gist of it now.... just got to get used to it...

and probably the way to "tidy up" which is what I was trying to do,.... is to delete what I don`t want from the All Mail folder.... first... and then... go to individual folders ( in  and sent) to delete whatever from there. to do the final "tidy up". I suppose.

Thanks for all your inputs... I do appreciate the help.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter 

I'm wondering if using some of T'birds built-in functions might help.

For instance, when sending from one of my PN IMAP accounts (using my PC) I tell T'bird to store a copy in a local folder (i.e. on the PC), see Tools / Account Settings / [Account]Copies & Folders, which then doesn't save the sent mail on the PN server, whereas if I use the same account on my phone, it does store the sent mail on the server..

Tools / Account Settings / [Account]Synchronisation & Storage may also be useful.

Tools / Message Filters could also be used to relocate mail into other folders.

Edit: typo

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  I have had a "look around" at some settings on Tbird... not sure what most of them actually mean, or will do , if I changed something....BUT..

found this..

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

(my highlight in purple ! )

which brings up this window....

TBIRD 2.png

and I unticked a couple , as shown... which removes the folders from the list previously showing... and thus removing the "confusion" about moving/deleting from other boxes !

Thanks again, to everyone, for educating me ! .... Much appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I did explain this through to you via pm shutter..
You now claim you don't know what pop3 and IMAP are?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yup 7up. !   you did indeed... but  I still don`t understand the systems... just that they are different and one sends the messages, and the other keeps them ! ! ... never mind... all will get sorted or forgotten quite soon I expect ! ! !..cheers  Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

but  I still don`t understand the systems... just that they are different and one sends the messages, and the other keeps them ! !

Well at the time you replied back saying you understood it all - except the connection details bit. Check your sent folder.

Now you claim you still don't understand it?

I also made clear to you that pop3 was where you download mail from and your client deletes it (typically). IMAP stores mail on the server and anything you do in your client sends the command to the server to perform.

I did not mention anything to you about SMTP being used to send. You are getting confused with another thread in the hardware forum started by Marksfish where me and MJN discussed SMTP.

Next time you PM me for help and intend to take up my time writing a reply, start your PM with "Hi 7up" or other similar friendly greeting.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!