Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMAIL query

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

GMAIL query

I have recently changed to GMAIL... and have several addresses. My "email client" is Thunderbird.

I want to just have "local copies" kept on Thunderbird... there is a folder "All Mail"... that seems to hold every email sent or received... which, when I delete one  ( or a group ) from there...all copies disappear from their relevant "in" or "sent" folders.

Is there a setting that I need to change so that no copies are kept on the GMAIL server, but only copies sent and received by me in the "local" folders are kept, so that I can manage them better ?

I think that the GMAIL system uses IMAP  ( as the message locations are imap (my email address ) ... But I dont know what IMAP is, means,or does... and not really interested in the differences  of IMAP and POP3  that happen "behind the scenes"... just want my messages to be under my control on my computer ! !

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 115

Re: GMAIL query

IMAP holds your mail on the server, unless you explicitly delete or move it o a local folder, whereas POP3 downloads to your computer.

Gmail does use IMAP by default but can be set to use POP3 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en-GB

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@MisterW  Thank you for your reply.... interestingly... I used POP3 with PN email address, and  despite your linky saying

POP can only be used for a single computer. Emails aren't synced in real time. Instead, they're downloaded, and you decide how often you want to download new emails.

when I used my small 10inch laptop, alongside my main one.. ( i.e running two computers at the same time) emails would appear in both....

Also... if I were to use only the one (main)  for a week or more, when I booted up the 10inch laptop, it would then download all the emails "not received" due to it being "off line"  ...

Not sure if I can change to POP3 now I have initiated the IMAP... ? ?  presumably I have to do the change to each individual GMAIL address  ? ?

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 115

@shutter  POP3 can be configured to 'leave messages on the server', either for some period or until they are deleted, so that multiple clients are able to see the emails. However, sent mail is ONLY stored on the client which actually sent the mail and can not be seen from any other client.

Whether POP3 leaves messages on the server is down to how each client is configured.

TBH I'm not sure on the exact mechanism to change to POP3 on gmail or what it will do with existing email, never use it!.

I have my own domain and pay for a 'proper' email service, costs me £8/yr for the domain and £12.99/yr for the email service. Much better than trusting your email to a free service.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@MisterW   Hmm.... just going through the settings as listed on your linky, and it shows "all mail is POP3 "   but lower down the settings is a choice of Enable or Disable IMAP... so I will "disable" Imap.. and leave the rest of the settings .

Thanks.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter 

I don't claim to be an expert, but a POP3 account can be used on multiple computers due to a setting in your client which chooses not to delete emails from the server (or deletes them after a specified time).

Edit: @MisterW  beat me to it Embarrassed

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 3

I use POP3 on all my devices. All set to leave mail on server bar one.  When I delete mail from my main computer then they are deleted from the server. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter 

I'm not sure if I'm reading your request correctly. Where is the "All Mail" folder? TBird or gmail? I'm guessing it's gmail.

If so, gmail doesn't have folders as such. All your messages are saved in All Mail. Everything else (Inbox, Starred, Drafts, user-labels etc) are just "views" into a subset of the messages in All mail. There is only one copy of any message; if you delete it from any label you are deleting the only copy, so it's gone from all of them. That's why I stopped using gmail in favour of TBird exclusively. I have to say it seems a very strange way to do things to me. Thunderbird is much better at organising things.

This is the nearest explanation I have come across which addresses this, although the OP is referring to labels. But it still applies.

support.google.com/mail/thread/4587265?hl=en

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@nozzer  I use Thunderbird as my email client....  but GMAIL for my address(s)

here is a shot of the Thunderbird side panel... showing the "All Mail" folder slightly highlighted by me for ease of viewing.

thunderbird gmail allmailedited version.png

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter 

Which TBird version are you using? Mine is 68.8.0 and it doesn't look like that.

tb.jpg

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@nozzer wrote: Which TBird version are you using? Mine is 68.8.0 and it doesn't look like that.

I'm using 68 too and as you, nothing like it. However I don't ever download anything to do with Gmail (its only used on my phone) which is why I suspect that is why it doesn't show up in TB. But on my phone I do have an All mail folder (comprises both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts) but that is set to leave messages on the server. Its me that decides when they get moved when I log in with TB. Presumably if I did download Gmail via TB that All mail folder would appear there.

I think @shutter  needs to go through the various settings.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

THUNDERBIRD VERSION.png

@nozzer  @idonno 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter  @idonno 

It looks like TBird emulates gmail in order to be consistent with gmail's behaviour.....

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

That's not a good thing in my book because it forces TBird to use the gmail protocol, which is strange to say the least.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter 

I mainly use yahoo, with a side-dip of plusnet addresses. Both work fine on TB.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

So.....I have disabled IMAP, on the GMAIL settings page.... presumably now all my messages will come direct to me...not be on the GMAIL server.

I do not want to have all my emails located in the "all mail" folder... but only to arrive in the In Box, or to be stored in the Sent box...  unless I move them to another "safe" place. for MY convenience.