cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20 Summit

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

G20 Summit

How do you persuade a country who's wealth is built on fossil fuels, that Climate Change is a very real threat.

As has been said on the news, the battle lines are being drawn at the G20 summit.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: G20 Summit

A country like Norway or Scotland for instance ?  Well we have already chopped down most of the world's trees, solar power only viable for a few hours a day, wind power in the lap of the Gods, nuclear being phased out.  We will still need oil and coal for synthetic cloth, tarmac roads, paints, medicines, etc. etc. Electric planes expend so much power just carrying batteries that they can't carry many passengers or payload so I guess fossil fuels will be around for a while yet. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Difficult, when the likes of Australia other than coal, iron ore and other minerals they are tearing out of this good earth, have sweet Fanny Adams to export... except maybe Bush hats with hanging corks. Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Fossil fuels will be around until either they run out, we are on the edge of extinction or, our alien overlords take over and rescue us from our self destructing folly. 

As God said on Twitter earlier, "I thought humans were a good idea". Roll_eyes

Highlighted

Even God is entitled to the odd error of judgement.

PS: God used to have a forum account.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

"Even God is entitled to the odd error of judgement"

Said that Labour Party member after being re-admiited. Wink 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@wotsup 

Fossil fuels will be around until either they run out, we are on the edge of extinction or, our alien overlords take over and rescue us from our self destructing folly. 

One day somewhere in the world there'll be a young scientist asking, "I wonder whether ... ", and "Suppose I do this, what will happen?", or "If I apply x theory to y problem, will it result in z happening?" and we'll have sufficient energy for a good while yet.  Imagine someone growing up in the 1910s and compare their lives with those of today's young people.  My grandfather and his friends dreamt about TV when they were kids and he spent his retirement watching live sport from around the globe beamed into his living room in colour.  Even Elvis wouldn't have believed you if you'd told him we'd soon be able to carry just about as much music as anyone could want in a device that would fit into a cigarette packet.

In the days of horse-drawn carriages there were worries that the streets would fill with horse manure; when did u last see any, exept for a steamy pile left by a police horse when your local football team is playing at home.

Someone calculated that there would never be enough mathematicians in the UK to programme more than about three computers; I have four laptops!

Most of us on here are old enough to remember dial-up; in a couple of decades when customers post here about only getting 900Mbps when they were promised 1Gbps, a slightly more 'mature' looking @Anoush will send them a sugar-free (sugar will probably have become an illegal substance by then) chocolate bar and remind them that they don't know how lucky they are.

Highlighted
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 120

@Jonpe wrote:

Most of us on here are old enough to remember dial-up; in a couple of decades when customers post here about only getting 900Mbps when they were promised 1Gbps, 

A wee bit late but only just seen this now. Don't normally log into this account very often anymore.

I'd finally become my grandad and get to say "Back in my day..."

a slightly more 'mature' looking @Anoush will send them a sugar-free (sugar will probably have become an illegal substance by then) chocolate bar and remind them that they don't know how lucky they are.

*Sends chocolate with a back in my day caption*

Back in my day we were lucky enough to get 56K and could only dream of a T1 1.5mbps line.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Highlighted

I have a device somewhere that has connection speed options of 300bps, 600bps and 1200bps.

Someone will recognise these numbers and elaborate.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Wait, that chocolate I was sent last year was sugar free?? Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

My 300bps Acoustic Coupler is in the garage somewhere. Can't find a phone that fits these days....

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 921

@Strat wrote:

I have a device somewhere that has connection speed options of 300bps, 600bps and 1200bps.

Before my time, but how did the world go round at those internet speeds?

@twocvbloke wrote:

Wait, that chocolate I was sent last year was sugar free?? Shocked

I hope not. Sugar = flavour. In small doses.

I think I've got a bar lying around somewhere, we sent one out to test. I'll check the ingredients if I can find it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team