Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.P.s

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

G.P.s

Plans to allow you to see your G.P. seven days a week, 8am to 8pm...
Not quite
But not until 2020, that's just over 5 years away !
Unlikely you would see your G.P.
My local Surgery now doesn't allow you to specify which G.P. you see, unless you kick up a fuss.
My G.P. herself says this is ridiculous
The Lead Doctor actually introduced this system of having to phone in on the day, to get around Government waiting times requirements, and was Knighted for it !!

As for seeing your G.P., the advantages are obvious, they know you, don't need to read / speed read your history, and you will have built up a strong relationship with them.
"Out of Hours" cover is still likely to be Locums, not used often, but useless in my experience.
And all because the Government wants to ease the burden on A&E departments in Hospitals.
So who introduced the work less, get paid more practise....
And they want to be the next Government...

Having said all of the above, my G.P. practice is actually very good, my G.P. now works part time at my local Surgery, and so knowing which days she is in, means it is really quite easy to get an appointment to see her.
Recently, a next day appointment at a time of my choosing-ish is the norm, working their system
As is getting my G.P. to make another appointment on the system, bypassing the Receptionists !
At least we can now make appointments on-line, bypassing the 8am phone-in logjam.
And there is another way... the Reception desk opens at 7:30am some days, and if you walk in, you can get an immediate appointment, with a Doctor of their choice
All the receptionists are nice too !

And Medical Records are available online, one plus of our Surgery
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: G.P.s

Labour introduced and funded a system called Walk-In Centres. These were available from 7 am through to 10 pm 364 days a year. The practitioners were highly skilled and experienced primary care nurses. The services were managed by senior nurses. The nurses were given advanced level diagnostics and medical prescribing training. They could deal with 90% of the cases which would have gone to a GP or an A&E for out of hours with a minor condition. Long term conditions or significant injuries were referred to A&E. The nurse practitioners were able to refer cases directly to hospitals. The skill levels were so advanced that trainee doctors in their final year would be placed with the Nurse Practitioners to receive training on patient assessment and diagnostics. A typical city Walk-in Centre would handle 30- 40,000 consultation a year.
The GPs hated the "competition" and actively campaigned for the closure of the Walk-In Centres. They claimed the funds could be more effectively used in GP Services. Strange considering that a Nurse Practitioner was paid less than half of a doctor.  I had exposure to the details of some of these closures when Andrew Lansley was in charge of the NHS. You had cases where the publicly funded clinic buildings (close to £1 Million setup costs) were handed over to private GP Practices while the Nurse Practitioners were made redundant or moved to low grade jobs. It was an enormous stitch-up.
David Cameron is in for a nasty shock! To get a GP to work unsocial hours a local hospital, which took over a Walk-In Centre, was paying £100/hour.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

yep ever since labour privatised GP's and allowed them to stop performing 90% of their normal jobs with a contract renegotiation and of course the bonus of double pay the NHS has been on its death bed, you cant privatise the primary care service and then clain that the word "NHS" refers solely to a few as yet non privatised hospitals (because they started moving towards privatisation of the whole of the NHS when they split it up into every hospital being a trust and every trust allowed to generate PFI)  I cant see how the NHS can be rescued right now without being ripped down 90% of the purely administrative staff sacked all the privatisations undone and contracts tossed in the furnace and rewritten (at much lower total cost)
the day they made GP's private contractors they started writing their own wage slips and changed from providing 24 hour cover 7 days a week to providing 8 hour cover 5 days a week, this "new" reinvention will only work if they offer more cash (because most gp's wont provide the service without it) but theres a huge debt problem already in most area's with hospital trusts being massively overspent all the time ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

GPs have been operating private practices since the inception of the NHS. Few are directly employed by the NHS. The practice partners are awarded fees depending on the size of their patient population.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
yep ever since labour privatised GP's and allowed them to stop performing 90% of their normal jobs with a contract renegotiation and of course the bonus of double pay the NHS has been on its death bed, you cant privatise the primary care service and then clain that the word "NHS" refers solely to a few as yet non privatised hospitals (because they started moving towards privatisation of the whole of the NHS when they split it up into every hospital being a trust and every trust allowed to generate PFI)  I cant see how the NHS can be rescued right now without being ripped down 90% of the purely administrative staff sacked all the privatisations undone and contracts tossed in the furnace and rewritten (at much lower total cost)

nanotm
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
GPs have been operating private practices since the inception of the NHS. Few are directly employed by the NHS. The practice partners are awarded fees depending on the size of their patient population.

PCT's were created in 2003 and privatised GP services selling off all of the NHS practices to private healthcare groups or partnerships that had enough cash to buy themselves out, prior to that there were a few private practices that also provided some NHS patient care, it was considered the way forward by the then labour government to raise funds and handoff the responsibility of pension provision to someone else......
here's an article that details some of it http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/dec/19/when-privitisation-gp-practices-wrong and a n extract of that article
UH made its first foray into the UK health market in 2003 under the Labour government, but by 2010 it was making a loss of £13.9m on it. In April 2011, it pulled out of primary care in the UK and transferred shares in its six practices, including the three in north London, to The Practice plc. It had decided that it would be more profitable to invest in a different part of the potential NHS market — providing commissioning support services to the new clinical commissioning groups that will handle most of the NHS budget from next spring.
The north London PCT thought it had a clause in its contract with UH preventing subcontracting of GP services. But after legal advice it found the contract came under national rules that allowed the contract holder to engage another "suitable provider".
The NHS could not object and UH did not even have to consult the PCT on the change. An inquiry by Camden council's health scrutiny committee expressed astonishment at the loophole. "In our view primary care by GPs should not be a commodity traded in the private market," its report said. The PCT has now amended its contracts.
Labour councillor Angela Mason, who chaired the inquiry, was appalled by the lack of accountability. "The contract was inadequate; it couldn't prevent UH from upping sticks and handing over to another provider. It makes a farce of the whole tender process. We had to use freedom of information requests and appeals justto get the contract.

@andy yet again you speak on a subject you know nothing about, quell surprise that you go off on the wrong track and make a tit of yourself .....
Community Veteran

I am from a family of GPs - I think I know a little more than you on how things work.
nanotm
Pro

if that's true then you have no excuse for being wrong do you, yet clearly labour created PCT's in 2003, sold off GP practices to private companies and started paying twice as much for half the service within a few years of this "cost saving measure"  being implemented.......
not really a surprise you manage to be so wrong though is it you've got good form for that ......
Community Veteran

I suggest you reread what you wrote because you've just contradicted yourself.
Community Veteran

As usual Nanotm your research is woefully inadequate, while you do provide some consistent entertainment value on this forum it is pointless arguing with you.
nanotm
Pro

oh noes I changed the % value it must be a contradiction ...... or perhaps there's a different timeline and further erosions of service have happened since 2005
I've consistently said they were privatised by labour and it was a cost saving measure that increased the overall cost of service and reduced the service provided...... I've  even searched for and found news article just so others can read it, even took the time to quote the most relevant part of the article and well blow me down if it doesn't explain the same thing I mentioned, exactly where do I post a contradiction?

@aa
aside from the fact the NHS didn't ever own all the GP services, when it was created it allowed the private practices already established to provide services to everyone under contract it did actually create new NHS practices, so whilst some (less than 50%) of GP practices were indeed always private practices how exactly is my research incorrect, all the NHS ones were privatised.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
here's an article that details some of it http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/dec/19/when-privitisation-gp-practices-wrong and a n extract of that article

Hang on... nanotm... can you just stop and smile at the camera for a moment.. i just need to screenshot you actually providing a link that you actually refer to as evidence for the first time in history..  Grin Grin Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

I think if you check back through my post's you will find its happened before Wink admittedly not as often as some people would like but not completely absent either  Cheesy
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Tell patients what you earn, doctors told:
Practices are told to reveal average earnings of GPs by March 2016
Family doctors in surgeries can earn an average of £102,000 per year
The new GP contract, unveiled by NHS England yesterday, also confirmed that every NHS patient in England will be able to access their medical record online free of charge from next year.
At the moment, it costs them £10.

Not at my Surgery, Medical Records have been available, and Free for ages now
Which include scans of letters to and from Hospital Consultants
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775809/Tell-patients-earn-doctors-told-Practices-told-revea...
Community Veteran

The earnings of partnered GPs are not straightforward - you have to have a decent understanding of partnership accounting to be able to make sense of them.