Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fussy eaters

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Fussy eaters

Fussy eaters, can it really all be down to genetics?

I'm not buying it myself as it seems far more prevalent now than it ever was in my day. Kids will take a yard if you give them an inch of choice and ours were never made to eat what was on their plate, but they never got anything else neither were they allowed to leave the table until the rest our family (we had four children) had finished eating.

Sure they had likes and dislikes, one would not eat fish and another peas - and forty years later neither still don't but, a child will not go hungry for long and that's a fact. I can well remember as a kid in a Children's Home steadfastly refusing to eat spinach and I was made to stay sat at the table for the whole afternoon. Never finished it though Wink

Must admit that it does drive me to distraction the way parents today nag and cajole their kids to eat. Jeepers, just leave it there if they don't want it! 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/14/is-your-child-a-fussy-eater-the-reason-could-be-in-t...  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Fussy eaters

I had a similar discussion yesterday with my daughter over her half-sister's two young daughters (2 and 4). Apparently they will only eat pot noodles and such rubbish and their mum panders to these whims.

As @Minivanman says a child will not go hungry for long but, surely, pandering to such whims and wishes will only make a rod for their parents' back and further limit what the children may try as they grow older?

I have never been fussy with food but will never eat offal.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Offal? How true although I used to like liver and kidneys. Could never touch heart though.

When overseas I found sausages were made mainly of the stuff, what my son called "guts" Cheesy

Here in my adopted Wales they seem to love faggots - which are like meatballs but made of meat allsorts. Not for me.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

My view was that their mum put good food on the table and if they didn't want to eat it then go hungry.

They didn't do it for long and ended up eating what they were given. My wife didn't believe in cooking twice for one sitting.

Liver and onions was one of my favourite meals and I miss it.

Peas, can't understand a person's dislike for them.

As a kid I used to sit on the back step shelling peas for dinner and many of the small sweet ones would go in my mouth rather than the colander much to everyone else's dismay.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Ah, yes, shelling peas. Happy memoriesCool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Used to go pea pulling in the school holidays,to supplement my pocket money.Smiley 

Minivanman
Hero

As a kid my father in law would have any uneaten food from the previous day served up cold for breakfast, but then his parents were from a poor village in Italy where food was far more precious I guess. Maybe choice is the problem as they had none whilst now, the kids have plenty. Not an argument for hunger rather an observation of excess. 

As an immediate post war baby we had a far fewer if any options as food was still on ration but oddly enough we were far healthier by all accounts - which means I  may make ever older bones yet.

Mrs Minvanman 'indulges with choice' the grandchildren of course so on that count I'm fighting a losing battle!

Community Veteran

Faggots are perfectly acceptable in the privacy of one's home. Just don't offer any of them to visitors from the American Colonies, you may get an odd look.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I recall sitting at the table and having to finish my meal before leaving, often being told, " someone has had to work to pay for the food in front of you."

The range of things people will not eat these days is just silly, bet the millions of people around the world who are starving would eat almost anything put in front of them.

There have been recorded cases of people resorting to cannibalism when no other source of food was available. Survival is a strong instinct.

Fixes: 47

I remember being told "there are starving people out there who would be glad of what you are refusing"

I couldn't say "give it to them then" as I couldn't duck fast enough to avoid the inevitable slap round the back of the head.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation