cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further dumbing down of our education system?

Fixes: 125

Further dumbing down of our education system?

Is this further dumbing down?
Reading test for six-year-olds to include non-words
A number of made-up words such as "koob" or "zort" are to be included in the government's planned new reading test for six-year-olds in England.

President of the UK Literacy Association David Reedy said the inclusion of non-words would be counter productive since most six-year-olds expect to make sense of what they read.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Further dumbing down of our education system?

Most people over six(ty) expect to be able to make sense of what they read.... but text speak is beyond them !!  Grin
nadger
Rising Star

2 rite  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

He added that it might be useful for the Department for Education to explain why the Secretary of State's surname, 'Gove', did not rhyme with 'love'.
I thought it did  Embarrassed
thisoldman
Grafter

well just wait to you see what jamie oliver has planned for schools.

next thing will be a degree in making pancakes, which will amuse  1 member in here. Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Deleted
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@thisoldman,  Jamie Oliver is Dyslexic like me, unlike me Jamie has a Ghost Writer to write his Books for him, but neether Jamie or I can read a Book with out puting it through OCR and using a Text Reader to Read the book to us.
Community Veteran

This is nothing to do with dumbing down at all.
The stated reason for the nonesense words inclusion is to check that children understand how letters make words that represent sounds, rather than just recognising a word and saying a word, the distinction is subtle but important.
The objections are two fold, firstly, children of the age the test is aimed at take things literally and expect them to make sense, and there for the test is likely to cause them confusion or distress, secondly that the English language is full of words that you have to know how to say because the letters don't in fact make a word which if said phonetically would actually be the word.
So whilst this is an worthwhile debate, on one where I am with the objectors, it is not, and I fail to see how it can be characterised as a dumbing down of education, unless that is you actually just posted without bothering to read anything about the subject before posting.