cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furious father shames his local bin men

Welshdragon
Rising Star

Furious father shames his local bin men

Would you think of doing the same or similar.....?

Firefighter Paul McMillan said  said he took the footage to embarrass the refuse collectors who he suggested had gone soft compared to the bin men of the past who used to carry rubbish away on their backs.

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Furious father shames his local bin men

The way some things are done make no sense.

A recycle bin in a student house opposite had the usual sticker put on it saying some non recycle stuff in bin blah blah. So the bin stands there for weeks paper blowing out of it, me picking it up until a special council wagon eventually comes along and empties it.

Now why don't they just have a sticker saying empty by normal waste wagon?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Our council refused to empty our bin a couple of times, first time was because they didn't like us using carrier bags for containing cans, plastic bottles, paper and other recycleables in the bin, you know, so they don't blow about when the bins got knocked over by the wind or kids with nothing better to do on bin day, and the second time round they claimed that a homebrew barrel (which had been blowing about on the street for a couple of months without them or anyone else taking the effort to pick it up and bin it) was classed as "non-recyclable general waste", despite having a standard, universal, says everything you need to know about plastic recycling logo on the bottom stating it was Polypropylene plastic, a plastic THAT THEY RECYCLE!!!!

And they pay these morons up to £30k a year?

Community Veteran

I haven't worked out what the broom and dustpan on the back of the bin lorry is for?

Is it like the stuffed toys tied to the bumper? Something they have found to decorate their lorry.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

I haven't worked out what the broom and dustpan on the back of the bin lorry is for?

You know, I actually witnessed what it's for, it's when they're playing butterfingers with the recycling and they drop it everywhere smashing all the glass and have to stop and block the road for 20 minutes pretending to sweep it all up but don't actually get all of it cos they're too busy yakking on their iphones...

Welshdragon
Rising Star

I had to tell one binman off twice in 5 minutes, for throwing the food caddies about, his excuse was "it was in the way", after I told him that if the Council puts up the council tax again to recoup the costs, I will name & shame you, he then stormed off in a huff & left his colleagues to finish the job....lol

Now they take the bins even if the lid is up.....Wink

Welshdragon
Rising Star

twocvbloke wrote:

billnotben wrote:

You know, I actually witnessed what it's for,

I always thought it was for historic purposes as a matter of history, for when the council workmen leaned on them.....PMSL

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They should include in contracts for every public employee that their wages are paid by the public and must provide the public with the service they are paid to provide.

A further inclusion in the job description should be, a requirement of the post is, common sense !

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I got a letter from Onyx a while ago saying they will not be taking my black bin becuase it was too full. In the letter was 'tips' to tell me how to reduce my rubbish! At the time I had a 2 month old baby and the bin collection was reduced to every two weeks instead of every week. I can't recycle nappies or any of the other stuff that comes with a newborn child! I had to leave bin bags on my front garden for a few weeks and animals had got into them and strewn rubbish all over the place. Was not happy.

In addition to this, the only option I had was to take my bin bags to all the black bins that were left out and sneakily put my bags in them (if there was room) during the very early hours while everyone was asleep. Not proud of that but I had no choice.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

We've been on 2 weekly collections for black & recycling bins for several years now.
The bin men will not collect any thing left by the side of a black bin, they will take recycled stuff left though. Been like that for many years. No problems with the lid being up here.

If you have too much waste then it is YOUR responsibility to take it to the recycling site. (According to the council not me)
Personally I have a trailer and when necessary I take garden waste or large items to the dump (sorry recycling site)
Welshdragon
Rising Star

A simple solution to the nappy issue, is to invest in Terry Towelling nappies

As throw away nappies go they can not be recycled AFAIK, they will increase in the landfill.

Literally just up the road, there has been a bag of nappies sat on a wall awaiting collection for nearly 3 weeks, which I notice on a daily walk up the shops & I have reported it on an almost daily occurrence, yet my council can not be bothered......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pity they didn't leave that bag of nappies on the council steps it would have been shifted in less than an hour.

Welshdragon
Rising Star

I may put a note on the bag, advising the owner, to do just that.....lol

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

twocvbloke wrote:

Our council refused to empty our bin a couple of times, first time was because they didn't like us using carrier bags for containing cans, plastic bottles, paper and other recycleables in the bin, 

When deciding what to put in a recycling bin just imagine you are working in a recycling depot sorting the rubbish as it goes past you on a conveyor belt. Your job is to put glass in one chute behind you, plastic bottles in another, and paper in a third chute. It is a bit difficult to select bottles from the conveyor when they are wrapped in a plastic carrier bag.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

It is a bit difficult to select bottles from the conveyor when they are wrapped in a plastic carrier bag.

Given said bags were the transparent pre 5p-charge bags, which were clear enough to see through (so the recycling plant people would have to be blind to not tell the difference), and of course that when crushed in the compactor on the back of the bin trucks the bags would burst open anyway, it was not really a problem, that and the council lackey told us to use "clear bags" which we were using and told to stop using because the bin men (who have more important things to do on their iphones than pay attention to their job) were too stupid to notice...