cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny name for a long piece of wood

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Funny name for a long piece of wood

A thought crossed my mind (they occasionally do!) that many people use a long piece of wood to assist them with balance whilst transferring their weight from one foot to the other repeatedly,as a method of moving from one place to another....
this transference of weight, repeatedly, is commonly referred to as "walking"......
Why then is a "walking stick" so called?  It does not walk.... Huh  Roll eyes
It does not function when not controlled by the human brain, and I have never seen one actually walking anywhere!  Roll eyes Cheesy
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Funny name for a long piece of wood

Is this going to go along the same lines as that Vacuum Cleaner thread a while back?
If so I'm staying well away... Shocked Grin Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Do vacuum cleaners go along lines?  Grin Cheesy
jmd
Grafter

All depends on who is using it, same goes for "walking" sticks.......................................... Wink
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

Why then is a "walking stick" so called?   It does not walk.... Huh  Roll eyes

Probably the same reason running shoes, skipping ropes and smoking jackets do not live up to their description on their own. (In the case of smoking jackets that is probably just as well.)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

perhaps if you were physically afflicted like me, two hip dislocations in one day, your piece of wood does indeed walk, it is my third leg
Javert
Grafter

The term “walking stick” is a very ancient one – the 23-volume OED shows the earliest recorded reference to have been in 1580: “a white rodde, a walking sticke”.  It is simply the descriptive name for a cane with a particular usage. 
Of course, the OP could give rise to other pertinent questions, such as “Who put the ape in apricot?” / “Have you ever seen a house fly?” / “Have you ever heard a rubber band?” etc. etc.  Cheesy

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
it is my third leg

mod:note
Please there may be children reading this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just for Chilli, my third leg does reach the ground, and it is called a Knob stick, see http://www.walkingsticksonline.co.uk/

Think that's a bit harsh, I don't believe that anyone reading that sentence could interpret it in any other way. Unless I am totally naive..
Will Moderate For Thanks
firefly2
Grafter

hi pierre... what i would like to know>
how on earth did you dislocate two hips in one day. did you jump off mount everest ?? Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had a worn out hip, and the Hospital in there wisdom used all the excuses possibly to not replace it, I was going to the gym three times a week to keep my muscles in trim.
Eventually after four years and no cartilage, they operated.  four weeks later Wife at gym, new double glazed windows and deadlock doors, me sitting in armchair it popped out.  - lucky had phone by my side, cant phone gym, dont answer phone until 9.00.  Phoned Police,could they get wife, they called ambulance, but didnt tell them they could not get in.  eventually wife home, ambulance men doing their nut.  Taken to Hospital, Xrays, hip popped back in itself when getting on Stretcher.  Lots of grief from SWMBO, what the heck was I doing, disbeliever. back home.
12 hours later, sitting in same chair, talking to er, she was at least watching me and out it came again, she couldnt believe it as I did not move.
Bach to hospital again- out big time 6"  took two doctors, Wife and me holding bedhead, plus a lot of happy stuff to get it back, net result permanent muscle damage.  Nice Blue badge for parking on Double Yellow Lines and a WALKING-STICK

I dunno, the things people will do for blue badges these days... you with your hip, my sister collapsing in a road, my mum having her knees replaces and my dad having several DVTs. I tried to get one by dislocating my knee - sadly it got mostly better  Roll eyes Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I had a worn out hip, and the Hospital in there wisdom used all the excuses possibly to not replace it, I was going to the gym three times a week to keep my muscles in trim.

I've had a hip problem for a while and I've agreed to have it replaced when I get back from hols.  Being done on 4th November.  It will put me out of action for a few weeks but hopefully be OK in the long run Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
Quote from: shutter

Probably the same reason running shoes, skipping ropes and smoking jackets do not live up to their description on their own. (In the case of smoking jackets that is probably just as well.)

You could have a case under the Sales of Goods Act for goods not being as described Wink Wink