cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funeral Promotions

Fixes: 47

Funeral Promotions

I've had some promotional literature pushed through my letterbox this morning from a local funeral service company.
I've had 2 or 3 of these lately so I'm going to get out my blood pressure monitor and do a check.
Do these people have some prior notice of impending doom Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Funeral Promotions

If you not aware there are inheritance tax advantages if you pay for your funeral before you die.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We plan to bury our coffins in our orchard. Up to two burials are legal without planning permission provided they are properly documented. The only cost now is the rental of a JCB backhoe and the fee for an alternate ceremony.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat..... you might be interested in this..... being a fellow yokshuman...... 
http://www.coffincompany.co.uk/cardboard-coffin
Community Veteran

I'd put aside an extra £20 for a willow one.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

Yew grows better than willow in corpses though
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

i intend to pop off stony broke and let the parish deal with my remains.  i was always baffled by the people who were saving for their funerals.  they won't be there to get any fun out of it, so why not enjoy your assets while you have them?
itsme
Grafter

People save or prepay for their funeral so that family members don't have to pick the tab up.
nanotm
Pro

its always best to take out fpi and that way there is no cash transaction for the event, all the planning is done so nobody has to try and think about organising or paying for it at a time of great emotional stress and as the recently departed you are safe in the knowledge that the funeral you want will be provided regardless of any choices any family members might otherwise make .... (fpi= funeral plan insurance)
your family has to pick up the tab if you don't in most districts they no longer inter the unclaimed, or rather they track down the relies and give them the bill after the fact .....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But will you get a carriage clock and a Parker pen  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nanotm
as the recently departed you are safe in the knowledge that the funeral you want will be provided regardless of any choices any family members might otherwise make

Which is the bit that baffles me.........
you are not safe in the knowledge...... YOU ARE DEAD... end of story ...
Once you are dead... you have no knowledge of anything... least of all what is going on in the world of the living....
(oops... I can see nanotm asking me how I know......  Cheesy   well, how does he know I`m not right  ?  Huh )
nanotm
Pro

indeed it could go either way and a lot of people would prefer to hedge their bets on that one just in case the church got it all wrong Smiley
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Please do not believe the hype that once you have prepaid for a funeral, then that is that.
All these contracts have small print, and a lot of it allows the Funeral Director to bill for services in the contact if they have increased by a certain amount. This applied to all charges covered by legislation (VAT, fees from Local Authorities & NHS) among others.
Also some FD's get the bereaved to change some items, like the number of cars or flowers, which of course are chargeable.
Please seek advice as the small print is very devious.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Once your dead that its, your either worm food or ashes, they could even chuck me in the recycling bin, I'm not going to know any different  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artificer
i intend to pop off stony broke and let the parish deal with my remains.  i was always baffled by the people who were saving for their funerals.  they won't be there to get any fun out of it, so why not enjoy your assets while you have them?
I agree.
When you think about it the cheapest funeral costs a fortune and who is it for ? Friends and family, certainly not you even though you are there.
In time we will all be forgotton about.
Sad but true.