cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funding issues for care of the elderly.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Funding issues for care of the elderly.

The topic of funding care for the elderly is in the news once again.
The basic recommendations appear to suggest that working people above a certain salary should pay more tax and retired people who were financially well of should lose a number of benefits that are currently free and contribute towards prescription costs which are also free
Although the government have stated this will not happen the money has to come from somewhere and it's hard to see where else it can come from that does not add to the ever increasing national debt.
I Wonder if the idea of releasing this information is to soften us up so these ideas can be gradually implemented once the General election is over ?
6 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Funding issues for care of the elderly.

well they were talking about dropping the cost of prescriptions to £1 per script (instead of around £8 per line item) but making it so everyone had to pay until it was pointed out a single person on jobseekers probably couldn't afford that on a regular basis if they were actively trying to find work, 
care for the elderly is over priced in most cases though, for instance a nursing home charges more than 1k per week, yet its running costs are often only £450 per week per inmate, that over inflated price is causing a lot of the problems (yes I know that's not an accurate figure as many places charge 3 times that) what the country needs is to recreate a lot of the disappeared local care centres instead of trying to insist that your either rich enough to afford a place or residing with younger family members who ignore you whilst getting on with their job(s) look after you to a much lesser degree.
one of the many problems of mass privatisation of services, just as getting rid of county catering services and all sorts of other things has lead to massive price inflation in the cost of delivering an ever decreasing service (like waste partnerships), back when the country was provided for with huge legions of state workers all getting a pittance things ran a lot smoother and whilst inflation has always happened there was far better oversight of spending in such areas, nowadays any company providing a service seems to have a captive market and jacks up the price when they are sure there will always be demand ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Nice to know the elderly in nursing homes are "inmates"
Community Veteran

What's wrong with that? Check the meaning in any good dictionary.  Wink
Community Veteran

Cambridge Dictionary: a person who is kept in a prison or a hospital for people who are mentally ill  Shocked

If I was to refer to my gran as an 'inmate' when she was in a nursing home, I would have got a clip around the ear.
A resident or patient is much more appropriate.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

inmate was the only word I could think of, you don't go into a nursing home unless your no longer capable of looking after yourself through infirmity, illness or incapacity, if your infirm your not complus-mentus  Wink

and that's another thing they should bring back as a state run care facility, sanatoriums, for far too long society has had to deal with dodgy folk who should be getting proper care going off their meds and acting out, there's one who goes to the fruit farm up the road everyday in his underpants and nothing else despite the fact he stopped being employed there 15 years ago and there being a primary school he walks past daily nothing gets done about it " because he's harmless and we only secure people who are dangerous"  the poor sod's had pneumonia 3 times in the last 12 months and he's a danger to himself never mind upsetting the stupid oiks who ridicule him every day causing him emotional distress, yet despite the fact he actually breaks the law by going out underdressed within 500m of a primary school during the schooldays he gets zero help as there is no current capacity to help him within the scared in the community budget and the plod who pick him up once he reaches his destination simply return him to his home more confused than he was when he left .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
Cambridge Dictionary
I said a GOOD dictionary.  Grin Never heard of that one, try a proper printed one, e.g. COD or POD.