Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun unblocking bath waste .. err, only for masochists

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Fun unblocking bath waste .. err, only for masochists

My son and wife visited us over the weekend and offered to insert the chemical cleaner we'd bought for us. His hands are steadier.

After some hours he thought it had not done much and used a plunger, which improved the flow.

Ha ha, a little later we heard the patter of water trough the ceiling in to the kitchen below and approaching the electrics. Power off in a rush.

Fortunately my ever resourceful son-in-law was at home, and came to help, drying near the electrics, ans spending time on bathroom floor reattaching a pipe that had dislodged from plunger's force, and clearing wet gunk.

His efforts have saved the kitchen ceiling, and now the bath drains quickly. Phew!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fun unblocking bath waste .. err, only for masochists

Bath and shower waste pipes and shoddy builders are the scourge of our house.We have had both fail due to being push fit and no support given on the installation to stop them dropping. £000's of damage has occurred in our house due to the slack finish Angry

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Luzern 

Buy some oneshot drain cleaner from ebay and use it once a year.....you will have no further problems...the stuff is over 90% sulphuric acid !

@Marksfish 

None of those push fit things in our house, ideal for plumbers who want to get the job done quick but not so good for the householder who may end up with a big bill at some future date.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Push fit plastic pipes are terrible as they seem to degrade after a while. On top of that you cannot (or rather should not) mix and match different makes even when they are the 'same' size and match - it just never seems to work. 

Lessons learned, so now only use those you join with plastic pipe cement. 

Push fit where access is difficult? Perish the thought.  Smiley