Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Circle

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Full Circle

Those of you old enough will remember what it was like on a Sunday when you were at school.

Shops, cinemas and many other things closed except for Churches which were doing a brisk trade.

Looks like we are back to the old type of Sunday...except it will be Sunday every day for months.

At least as children we could get out and play....but even that option in not available now.

As for this virus, how hard would it be for a government to make something similar or more deadly than the current virus ?
Look at the devastation this has caused.

Quite a worry.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Full Circle

With more and more genetic tinkering of germs, viruses, bugs, etc we are all marching smiling into a real Walking Dead scenario.

And honestly I don't see any government stopping any time soon. We all used to think the worry was nuclear bombs or asteroids crashing into the earth but I think we all now realise where the real danger is.

I preferred the old "window shopping" Sundays.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 117

Maybe it’s just time to accept that if climate change doesn’t get to eliminate us all first then bugs or Anno Domini will get each of us in the end.

Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease. Just enjoy the time you have left as best you can without impacting others and accept that we’re all doomed!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

Right little rays of sunshine, aren't you all? 😁

John
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

We'll have Dad's Army on the streets soon so that'll be fine.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

If we keep kicking back at mother nature and giving her two fingers, she will come back and bite us in the [-Censored-], just like now. We are the only species that has found ways to defeat nature, every other life form on the planet just accepts it. We have to admit nature is currently practising one upmanship to the human race!!

Highlighted
Hero

To continue in my ray of sunshine mode you could argue that ‘nature’ is trying to preserve the Earth in its current form by inventing new ways of culling as many of those causing climate change as it can. And yes, we will fight back and continue adding to the unsustainable level of humans vying for ever decreasing resources until it all goes bang. Nature will win in the end by increasing the temperature.

Books about Gaia by James Lovelock make interesting reading.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Bacteria and virus can mutate much more quickly than we can adapt to them, they will have the last laugh...  Growing up in super-clean germ free environment will doom humans,  we do not get exposed to the bad guys and develop resistance. People who survived the first few years of life a few hundred years ago were pretty much immune to most things they would meet ( people did not travel far from where they were born then ).  Another problem is we travel too much and too fast - remember Europeans arriving in remote places,  like sailors in Pacific islands and Spanish in America,  most of the natives died from the diseases the newcomers bought with them, now this is happening every day all over the planet,  people turning up in different countries only a few hours after leaving somewhere else,  full of germs and having no time to develop symptoms, and the stale recirculated air in planes ensures that if one passenger has something a lot of other people in the plane will get it as well.  We have allowed ourselves to become very lax on the bio-security area, reliant on antibiotics and antivirals that become less and less effective every day.  @Baldrick1  is correct,  why worry about climate change when the new breeds of superbugs will get us first. 

I am still firmly of the opinion that this latest bug was a leak from Wuhan microbiology / virology Lab due to lax procedures, it is beyond coincidence that the largest Lab in China is in the city where all this started...

Highlighted
Hero

That wasn’t really my point.

If the bugs saw off say 90% of the population then the remaining 10% wouldn’t have to worry about climate change for a long time.

If the bugs don’t do it then climate change will.

Highlighted
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

I am still firmly of the opinion that this latest bug was a leak from Wuhan microbiology / virology Lab due to lax procedures, it is beyond coincidence that the largest Lab in China is in the city where all this started...

Leaks do happen though, look at the foot and mouth epidemic a few years back that leaked from effluent water at Porton Down.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Porton Down you say?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 wrote:

ray of sunshine mode

To be honest I'm quite enjoying the general peace and quiet everywhere.

But back to normal, baring in mind the every man for himself attitude of the shelf clearing hoarders, I don't doubt it wont be long before the army are called in to some areas to break up any large gatherings.

As for climate change not happening if the population was dramatically reduced I'm not so sure about that.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Now just imagine if a government produced a virus that mainly killed the elderly or those in poor health.....think of all the money they would save in both pensions and treatments.

Awful thing to think about but once you cease to be any value to the state in terms of production you become a cost to the state...

So I agree this virus is not made in a laboratory.......but who knows what might happen in the future......

Great idea for any budding fiction writers out there...

Highlighted
Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

Logan's Run? Similar, but different...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@gleneagles wrote:

Now just imagine if a government produced a virus that mainly killed the elderly or those in poor health.....think of all the money they would save in both pensions and treatments.

Awful thing to think about but once you cease to be any value to the state in terms of production you become a cost to the state...

So I agree this virus is not made in a laboratory.......but who knows what might happen in the future......

Are you sure about that, @gleneagles , when you realise where it originated - very close to China's biggest 'research' facility?

John