Rising Star

Fuel poverty looms

Just seen this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7533389.stm
Overcoat sales will be booming  Cry
41 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Fuel poverty looms

The day looms ever closer where I start farting into bottles.
Community Veteran

last week when EDF Energy put their rates up by 22% the CEO suggested that everyone should wear an extra jumper Angry  Don't tell Gordon Brown or he'll tax wool Grin
Community Veteran

Yep, because wearing another jumper is going to cook my dinner...  Lips are sealed
B.
N/A

I've been over reporting my meter readings for years - I'm just waiting for the price to peak, and then I'll tell the beggars the correct reading and laugh all the way to the bank with the refund cheque.
That'll learn 'em to be too lazy to come and read *their* meter.
geewizz
Grafter

Keep going James! I think you've discovered the perfect pension fund.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: James_H
That'll learn 'em to be too lazy to come and read *their* meter.
Can't get rid of meter readers round here - every 3 months we get the electric reader followed about 4 weeks later by the gas.
I enjoy telling them that it's already been done, by me, and that their services aren't required - one company is Siemens and the other Accuread.
I was really amused by the electric reader, about 2 weeks ago, who tried to tell me that they had to read it every 9 months, by law, and that our insurance would be invalid if they didn't check the meter. He looked most surprised when I told him what he was talking  Wink
geewizz
Grafter

Hmmm, I've just had a quick check and I don't seem to have had a proper bill from the electricity suppliers for over 6 months. The last one they sent was cancelled because it was mucked up by errors.
I think it's time for one of those phone calls where I sit on hold for the rest of the day.
N/A

Don't forget to inflate the reading a little so you have 'some in the bank' for winter.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: James_H
Don't forget to inflate the reading a little so you have 'some in the bank' for winter.
Back in 2005 I signed up, with British Gas, to a fixed price until April 2010 - it's proved to have been a good move.
When that ends I'll be looking into the schemes for pensioners where one pays a set amount for the year to cover both gas & electric.
nadger
Rising Star

Having a battle with British Gas who've tried to up the Direct Debit I pay by 40% - I'm on a fixed 2010 tariff.
One of the reasons they gave was that there are only 11 months in a year. I've made 6 payments so they've divided their estimated remainder by 5. Add to that an error in addition by the person who's said he reviewed my account.
Have asked them to comply with my request or supply email address of MD.
Now what do I do with the steam coming out of my ears. Angry
James
Grafter

Now what do I do with the steam coming out of my ears.

You can probably use it to save on your next electric bill.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I spent a small fortune on getting Solar Heating installed, saved me a lot in Gas and Electric in the last two years, now just got a new washing machine, - no new machines will accept hot water, that goes for dish washers as well, also did away with the bath a few years ago, no open fire so didnt want it to store the coal, now only got a shower.  Net result.  Fuel bills going up and a tank full of very hot water.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

pierre_pierre
You can still use the hot water from the tank but you won't be able to do cool washes - and cold rinses - net effect  disaster.
However, if you really want to use your hot water add a timed switch-over valve that after say 15 minutes switches over from hot to cold feed. You will need to remember to switch to hot when you start the washing machine and only when you want a hot wash but otherwise it will do what you want.
If you want to be really clever you could also add a thermostatic mixer to fix the incoming water temperature to the washing machine then you could use it for cool washes as well.
Of course a simpler manual system would be to have a hot and cold feed with individual hand valves and a temperature sensor in the combined feed so that you could set the temperature to what you want then turn off the hot feed after the initial fill.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The trouble with washing machines is that the cold water is high pressure (same as kitchen cold tap) whilst the hot feed is low pressure (from tank in roof). If you connect both using a simple T-junction then no hot water flows.
You could always just connect the warm water to the washing machine and only use it after you've had a bath - so it gets a luke-warm feed.  Grin