Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel issues

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Fuel issues

Quote from: petlew

It seems to me the OP has a problem with F1 and wants to compare the environmental consequence of F1 against bowling.

For the third time in this topic; I have no problem with anybody enjoying their pleasures, whatever it is, personally I dislike the apparent tedium of televised F1 (and it's constant fixation of showing only the leading car, perhaps there's more of interest going on down the back of the field) but I've never been to a GP venue, maybe I'd find the whole thing quite different "live" And I didn't make the comparison with bowls, you did, I merely pointed out we use cars to get around, in the same way GP fans do. If you (and others) think there is no environmental problem with motor racing, then that is fine with me, I respect your opinion, I only ask you to respect mine.

Mod; I don't know what happened with the previous post and its full quote, I certainly didn't intend it, could you do what you have to do to remove it please.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

If you (and others) think there is no environmental problem with motor racing, then that is fine with me, I respect your opinion, I only ask you to respect mine.

The trouble is, the fuel used in the race by these twenty cars, and indeed in all the miles of testing they do through the year is negligible when compared to the amount of fuel used to transport the cars, drivers, teams and F1 entourage around the 18 venues. I do enjoy F1 racing and GP2 and BTCC, but that doesn't mean I don't see the environmental issues with it.
However, I don't agree that we should stop the motor racing purely on environmental grounds. I think there are far more fuel hungry beasts out there which top the humble F1 car.
How many airbuses take off from Heathrow in a single day? Add that to all those other aircraft that take off from Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead, Bristol and so on. For someone like me, who doesn't travel abroad, air travel is pretty pointless and a waste of fuel - but that is only my opinion.
And just before anyone jumps on this post, I'm not trying to have a pop at anyone who wants to travel abroad, each to their own, but it's not for me. I'm using my unused carbon emissions from not going on foreign holidays to allow Lewis and Heikki to drive their hearts out for McLaren this year Wink
Fixes: 50

Quote from: Phil_E
Most of the fuel is used up when accelerating out of corners, so to reduce the fuel consumption we could just have fewer corners

How about no corners, just a straight track...
Oh sorry, it's already been done. Something called drag racing I understand. Embarrassed

Nothing to do with transvestites I hope Embarrassed Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Spider
Speaking of Americans.  On one of the other boards I look at there is a complaint that the price of fuel as gone up to $4 per gallon!

Although their prices are nowhere near as expensive as ours, the increase fuel prices is having a significant impact in the US. Most people are trying to offload their SUVs and their (commute to the office) pick up trucks. Problem is nobody really wants to buy them them. Americans are now looking at smaller vehicles.
20% of all new car sales in the US in April were "four cylinder compact" cars (cars like ours).
Quote from ABC news 3.6.08.
General Motors is closing four truck and SUV plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as surging fuel prices hasten a dramatic shift to smaller vehicles. The Hummer could become a thing of the past, as GM considers halting production of the gas guzzler for good and because fuel hungry SUV's have been sitting on sales lots, they're in trouble too, along with the future of gm pick up trucks.
So I think the penny has dropped with them about big cars with big engines using lots of expensive fuel. The thing I always find funny is even the small cars have big engines!
You never know they might even start walking into the fast food restaruant/bank/pharmacy rather than using the drive through!

Community Veteran

Quote from: Phil_E
I'm using my unused carbon emissions from not going on foreign holidays to allow Lewis and Heikki to drive their hearts out for McLaren this year Wink

That's very funny, nice one Phil
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Something called drag racing I understand.

The curious thing about drag racing; on the rare occasions when it appears in the murky depths of the more obscure channels on Sky, when there are interviews with drivers, most of those I've seen are usually overweight and very much of pensionable age, or very close to it, or their daughters.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

usually overweight and very much of pensionable age, or very close to it, or their daughters.

What are their daughters? Overweight or of pensionable age?  Crazy
Community Veteran

Well, those that I've seen, were keeping up the family traditions and taking after their fathers...size wise.
But they were American...nuff said!!
I mentioned in another topic that my son ran a bunjy jump company, it was at Santa Pod (Northants) that I went up in the crane jump plarform, although it was too wet (and far too dangerous) that day for drag racing.

Community Veteran

when there are interviews with drivers, most of those I've seen are usually overweight and very much of pensionable age, or very close to it, or their daughters.

Of course the size, age, gender doesn't really matter as the whole thing only normally lasts for six seconds.
There doesn't appear to a lot of skill required to drive a funny car in straight line (hopefully) for six seconds...ish
Bob_Milton
Grafter

What is he talking about??  Size or skill?Huh
Community Veteran

Size and skill
pd
Grafter

This guy doesn't seem at all bothered by the price of fuel....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No, but you think he would have done a "measure up" before buying the engine, to see if it fitted !  Roll eyes Grin Roll eyes
Bob_Milton
Grafter

But he wants you to see how BIG it is.