cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel Price Increase

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fuel Price Increase

it has been mooted that there WILL be a price hike on petrol and diesel, amounting to 3p per litre.....
but no-one has mentioned the increase will bring in more than that, due to 20% VAT on that 3p,...... making the actual increase 3.6p per litre....
so... 4.5 x3.6 = 16.2 pence PER GALLON increase....
average car tank 10 gallons means that to fill up the tank will cost another £16.20p
Imagine this increase on all Lorries, and buses, and trains, and you can see the price rises coming......
All goods have to be transported by lorry from A to B.... all suppliers will be charged more for the deliveries..... supermarkets will pass on those charges to the customers , as will all retail businesses from Clothes, to Washing machines, plasma tv,`s etc etc. sales will start to fall, and so will the VAT revenue......
Train fares will rise ,  bus fares will rise,.... or services will be cut..... customer numbers will start to fall, and so will revenue....
With "personal transport" cost rising, (there was a report on local tv last night about a woman who earns £7,000  (about £140 p.wk)  having to pay £80 per week just to fill up to get to work..) ... people will not be able to afford to go out at the weekend, to do shopping.... loss of revenue through loss of sales.... reduction in sales means staff cuts and unemployment...
There will also be a big reduction in "leisure motoring" and tourism generally, bringing a reduction in diesel and petrol sales, .... Loss of VAT revenue again....
More unemployment will mean more benefits to pay out... and with the loss of income for those on benefits... cutbacks in lifestyle become necessary...
thus a further cut in spending power bringing a further reduction in the vat revenue from lost sales....
The current price of diesel in my area is about £1.43.9p per litre..... so I can see the price display going up to £1.47.5 if this price hike goes ahead....
Ah ... hang on a minute.... I don`t think so..... I bet the price shown on the boards says  £1.47.9 per litre....  Lips are sealed
Wonder where the other .04p is going to go..... Roll eyes
We have long since forgotten the £5.00 a gallon.... but how soon will it be before we are paying £10.00 per gallon for the "privelige" of being able to drive our cars.... will cars become extinct like the dodo?
(haven`t seen anyone driving one of those for a while......)e
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Fuel Price Increase

Plug in. To a GM Volt
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

To quote my last line.....
(haven`t seen anyone driving one of those for a while.....)
Community Veteran

This is being mooted for the budget next month.  It has already been announced that tax thresholds will increase and we don't know what other changes will be made.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What annoys me is that the fuel duty targets just the motorist but affects EVERYONE.
So why not just tag a tiny amount on income tax instead? Whilst undoubtedly unpopular, it would at least be fairer. Then freeze the pathetic 5% rise on benefits and make a few adjustments to other things (such as cancelling the £450 million we've given to Argentina - the enemy) and I'm sure we could save Britain from impending doom.
But what do I know? I'm just the little man who's cost of living continues to go up with every product at the supermarket going up almost every week. I'm the litle man who when bored no longer takes the car out for a drive, no sir, now I just sit in the drivers seat and listen the stereo for 10-20 minutes.
The thing is, the government won't back down on this. Someone I knew a while back told me this had been planned out in advance. The government were intending to make a run against the motorist at the fuel pump and then unveil green motoring as the way forward to force people to switch. I was told that it was a done deal politically speaking - that wheels were already turning and it would happen within the next two years. 1.5 years later...
While I've nothing against using clean cars, you can't force an entire nation onto them overnight. The low paid family which relies on a cheap £500 banger can't afford to switch over to a £25k car that runs off electric, it's just not possible. As usual, its about the rich being looked after while those who actually need help get a kick in the teeth.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
hitachi
Grafter

Multiplication fail.  16.2X10=£1.62.
nadger
Rising Star

Smiley
Hands up all those who remember the 25p gallon  Roll eyes
annerimmington
Grafter

Might encourage people to buy more fuel efficient cars Huh    A bloke across our street drives a massive white Range Rover that sounds like a flippin double decker bus every time he drives into the street..............ghastly thing - .must cost him a fortune in petrol  Shocked
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Smiley
Hands up all those who remember the 25p gallon  Roll eyes

Almost, I remember paying 5/6d a gallon for my first car.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
but no-one has mentioned the increase will bring in more than that, due to 20% VAT on that 3p,...... making the actual increase 3.6p per litre....
so... 4.5 x3.6 = 16.2 pence PER GALLON increase....
average car tank 10 gallons means that to fill up the tank will cost another £16.20p

Quote from: hitachi
Multiplication fail.  16.2X10=£1.62.

I don't think that matters really when you consider that when I was 11 it was 58.9ppl (I remember this well as one of the teachers at my school was telling us about it). By the time I reached 25/26 it had crawled up 30ppl to 88.9ppl - a period of 14/15 years.
Since then it's gone up by what.. 40ppl in a space of 3-4 years. Thats unreasonable by anyones standards and completely defies the rate of the increase for over an entire decade.
Community Veteran

Yes, got my sums wrong on the multplier !  Embarrassed
Yes it does matter...... Fuel has gone up in price by at least 5 p per litre in the past 2 weeks....... it may not matter to you ....but it certainly does to me.... and the UK economy in generl.
Community Veteran

@shutter you are right, an increase in the fuel tax affects everyone whether they are a driver or not.  I hope the government do something to keep the cost down in the budget.
Community Veteran

I hold New Labour and Greedy Gorden responsible for all of this. Since Tony BLiar came to power the motorist was hit continually time and time again and since then it seems to have become an acceptable policy amongst politicians.
It's a national disgrace. While they're all walking around smiling and grinning happily people are suffering.
I'd like to see all of them do their jobs on the minimum wage and pay their own fuel/transport costs for getting to London. They'd soon change it all then.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Yes, got my sums wrong on the multplier !   Embarrassed
Yes it does matter......<snip> it may not matter to you ....but it certainly does to me

I never said it didn't matter shutter. What I meant was your miscalculation didn't really matter - it was a trivial aspect and the bit that does matter is the amounts that fuel keeps increasing by.
Sorry for any confusion.
nadger
Rising Star

Simple fact is that motorists, smokers and drinkers have always been easy targets for any government.
Rather glad that I now do 5% of mileage I used to do and don't smoke or drink  Cool