cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel Costs

Community Veteran

Fuel Costs

Fair Fuel UK is organising a petition to present to Parliament concerning the cost of fuel.
If 100,000 signatures are obtained then the matter will be debated in Parliament 
I've just signed and anyone can sign up here:
Fuel Costs
12 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Fuel Costs

Just signed - thanks for link  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Same here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Waste of time chaps.
You could get 10 million signatures,  the government might have to debate it but would be under no obligation to act on it.
Quite likely we will see lots of things reaching this voting figure with the Government having to debate it. i.e. Return of the death penalty but it's not a hope of getting passed.
Fixes: 47

Anything is worth a try, especially as the effort costs nothing....done.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If we just sit back and do nothing there is a 4p increase in fuel due in January which was sanctioned by the last mob.  Even if that's stopped it's something.
Community Veteran

If you do succeed they will only go and stick it on something less controversial
tinto
Grafter

I'm in full agreement with those who say the price of fuel is too high, but I think this petition, even if it gathers enough signatures will do nothing.  Barring  accident, the government (and I use the term loosely) have another four years in office, which means the electorate will be ignored for three years. 
It might be a more effective idea to organise a boycott  of a single fuel company, until fuel tax and/or VAT is reduced and let them argue with the government.  If after say three months there's no change, add another company to the boycott.  I'm well aware of the fact that a filling station is not necessarily supplied by the company whose sign is on their forecourt, but no company would want to be boycotted, particularly on something over which they have no control, and it's a sad but true fact that the ConDems are more likely to listen to British Petroleum than the British electorate.
If the tactic works, it could be applied to gas and electricity suppliers as well, in fact it could be said that they are worse than the oil companies, in that much less tax is applied by government and their imminent price rises will affect poorer consumers most.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Signed.
But I suspect it won't make much difference but, we can live in hopes I suppose...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

tinto.... must live in an "ideal world".... unfortunately, it would be impossible to organize a boycott as you suggest in the present world..... transport companies MAY be able to co-ordinate something on such a vast scale as is needed to be effective...... but to organise the general motoring public ..... can`t see it happening.. Undecided
Community Veteran

The people who have the money have the power.
In other words big business tells the government what it will charge for it's services and the government gets a rake off in the form of tax, any threat from the government they will take action over fuel, gas, electricity etc and the companies threaten to withhold development or cut jobs etc and the government soon falls into line and does as it is told.
In rare cases the government chances it's hand, like the increase in tax on oil exploration but the companies were quick to respond and test drilling in the sea around the country has virtually ceased.
So back to the fuel issue, the government needs the money raised in Tax and the companies will not reduce the cost of production.
To my knowledge the only time the government appeared to take action was when the lorry drivers went on strike and the roads were blocked in places, the government then decided more money would be lost as a result of that action and were prepared to reconsider the proposed increase in vat.
Community Veteran

One thing that would certainly reduce fuel costs is to do away with all the extra taxes being imposed in the name of green energy.  Expensive nonsense. Typical of the LibDems.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hear! Hear!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.