Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen Sweetcorn recall ... Listeria monocytogenes serogroup IVb

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Frozen Sweetcorn recall ... Listeria monocytogenes serogroup IVb

Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Iceland are forced to recall frozen sweetcorn products after 43 types may be contaminated with listeria

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/listeriosis-cases-linked-to-frozen-sweetcorn

Full list of 43 frozen food products recalled by Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Iceland and more after listeria outbreak

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/frozen-food-recalls-bacteria-list-14872538

"Most people won’t have any symptoms of the infection or will only experience mild symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea, which usually pass within a few days without the need for treatment.

More serious infection can develop in those with weakened immune systems or in vulnerable groups including babies, the elderly or pregnant women."

Just what I wanted to hear, I have a weakened immune system due to my Cancer treatment !!!

Only a day ago I purchased some frozen sweetcorn from Tesco, recently switching from canned sweetcorn as frozen has one third of the carbs of tinned, due to being in sugared water ....

One bag of unopened frozen sweetcorn straight in the bin.

Yes I could take it back, for a refund, but it's only £1, and it's not worth the hassle.

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Frozen Sweetcorn recall ... Listeria monocytogenes serogroup IVb

@Infinity wrote:
mild symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea

Their idea of mild is clearly different from mine.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't have bothered, its not heat resistant so as long as you boil those corn cobs for more than 8 minutes its going ot be bug free, 

for the cob free corn then get it to a rolling boil on the hob for 5 minutes  

in both cases wash your hands after touching the uncooked stuff before doing anything else listeria is an ingestion not an absorption bacteria so unless your rubbing your eyes /face wiht unwashed hands you not going to be in danger of getting it

like most things the problem is using the microwave since it doesn't heat the food evenly and thus leaves cold spots that are still dangerous

sometimes technology doesn't actually make life easier / 

we only use our microwave for reheating leftovers out of the fridge but mostly thats because I hate the way it "nukes" raw food /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Did a 6am Tesco shop this morning, to purchase sugar free tins of sweetcorn, to replace the frozen I had binned.

(Plus bread !)

There were loads of tins of sweetcorn from various manufacturers..... and amazingly enough, they were still selling the frozen corn that had been recalled.

I pointed this out, they are going to sort this.

So it's back to tins, albeit a different supplier, frozen takes up so much room in one freezer anyway, which I am currently using to freeze bottled water, to keep adjacent fridge cooled water cool, in an insulated picnic bag..

I have to be so careful with a weakened immune system, better safe than sorry.

When Cook & hubby Gardener come back off their extended holiday, we need a long chat about food safety, though she is actually very good at this.

Her kitchen is always spotless.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@nanotm wrote:

like most things the problem is using the microwave since it doesn't heat the food evenly and thus leaves cold spots that are still dangerous

We always stir anything cooked / reheated in the microwave during cooking.

Never had a problem.