Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontline Police Officers

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Frontline Police Officers

Is it time they were armed?

Hell yes, and the sooner the better in my opinion. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/23/police-chiefs-to-discuss-offering-guns-to-all-frontl...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Frontline Police Officers

I would prefer not to have our front line officers armed as a matter of course. Would it really make a difference to how, when, where terrorists will attack?

I was shocked yesterday to see armed officers standing outside the entrance to Canterbury Cathedral. A sad indictment of the times we live in.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Sad indeed @Mav but I had officers with side arms more in mind rather than those paramilitaries that now haunt our city centre streets. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now if we were all allowed to arm ourselves and given the right to shoot someone in the act of criminal activity dead, there'd be far less crime committed, nothing like the fear of death to make someone think twice about being a naughty boy... Smiley

LordFox
Grafter

I've no problem at all with the police being armed, pistols or UMP-45s. Never have had.

My problem is with the nanny-state mentality perpetrated by the government and puppet press that ordinary citizens cannot be trusted to own firearms and only the fortunate few (with land/permission/lots of money) can get FACs.

But that's another thread.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

No !! not all police should be armed .

But yes we need more armed officers as well as bobbies on the beat .

Start arming them all we end up just like USA Angry

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
LordFox
Grafter

Actually, more bobbies on the beat is more important than the arming issue. No point having the guns if they aren't there.

Can't see how you get to the conclusion that we would end up like the USA if all police were armed though. I think there's just a tad more to the issue than that.

Besides, why do people always jump to comparing with the USA when it comes to guns? Most police forces in the world are more routinely armed than ours, and many have more liberal gun laws (like we used to have) without any related increase in their gun crime.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

LordFox wrote:
roblem is with the nanny-state mentality perpetrated by the government and puppet press that ordinary citizens cannot be trusted to own firearms and only the fortunate few (with land/permission/lots of money) can get FACs.

But that's another thread.

Not exactly correct, anyone can join a shooting club providing they do not have a criminal record, after a period of 6 months they can apply for full membership. Providing you can show good reason to have a gun(s) and membership of a shooting club would be good reason then you are likely to get a FAC.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mav wrote:

I was shocked yesterday to see armed officers standing outside the entrance to Canterbury Cathedral. A sad indictment of the times we live in.

I'd be shocked too! Canterbury is a dump of a city in many aspects - who would want to even bother wasting their time trying to attack it? I worked there years ago, the people are over confident in themselves, convinced they're all something special and totally out of touch with the rest of the world*. It starts to get a bit more normal once you're near Maidstone..Even now i don't like going to Canterbury.

*As proven by Canterbury City Council who for some reason are not democratic like the rest of the country but have one man at the top and his henchmen who rule the city and are unaccountable to anyone for some odd reason.

Anyway back to the topic..

No I don't want to see the police armed with guns. There are too many power hungry coppers out there and frankly they're dangerous enough as it is with tasers. When they're issued with guns we have a serious problem with state control creeping into our lives. They want unrestricted access to our electronic communications, the right to hack us at will without a court approval, guns on every officer... No!

On the older more mature coppers maybe but certainly not on those below 35.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
LordFox
Grafter

gleneagles wrote:

Not exactly correct, anyone can join a shooting club providing they do not have a criminal record, after a period of 6 months they can apply for full membership. Providing you can show good reason to have a gun(s) and membership of a shooting club would be good reason then you are likely to get a FAC.

Perhaps, but the vast majority of firearms are not available to normal people; only a very small and frankly rather boring subset. When I was (much) younger, I enjoyed going pistol shooting with a friend's father. I was planning on getting my FAC, and enjoying such sports as practical pistol and shotgun.

Then, the firearms amendment was enacted in a knee-jerk publicity offering. Practically all of the guns I was interested in shooting (semi-automatic pistols, revolvers, many shotguns, the SLR and many other rifles both antique and modern) were effectively banned (made section 5) for normal people.

My friend's father had to give up almost all of his guns, and was so fed up that he gave up shooting altogether despite having enjoyed the sport for most of his life.

All to satisfy the government's need to look like they were doing something useful, justified with massaged statistics on legally held firearms and crime, which bore little resemblance to the truth that the vast majority of the problem was illegally held firearms. As it still is.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Mistakes happen even with highly trained firearms officers. The thought of less well trained bobbies going around with guns is frightening. Remember the blind bloke who was tasered in the back because a copper couldn't tell a white stick from a sword? More recently another blind man tasered because police couldn't tell a folded cane from a gun. Tasers in themselves are potentially life threatening but do we want those trigger happy cops running around with guns?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/oct/17/police-taser-blind-man-stick

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/24/blind-man-tasered-walking-stick-mistaken-gun-armed-police...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've a friend over in Texas who's often told me about the low crime rate there, due to a law they have which gives you the right to shoot someone dead if they step onto your property and you feel they're up to no good, and apparently some out-of-staters went to texas to go on a crime spree after doing so in other states, they left the state in bodybags shortly after...

As I said earlier, the best deterrent against crime is death, and will make someone think twice about committing an act of crime if they know that the people around them will be armed...

Minivanman
Hero

@rongtw

Not all no, which is why I said frontline police officers. God forbid we should give side arms to those hobby bobby community coppers Roll eyes

alanf
Aspiring Pro

On the other hand family members and their guests find themselves shot and killed if the gun owner does not expect them and makes a tragic mistake.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Minivanman wrote:

God forbid we should give side arms to those hobby bobby community coppers Roll eyes

I thought you were an atheist! Wink