Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From transgender to transhuman

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

From transgender to transhuman

Many of us scratch our heads over the issue of transgenderism, especially the older generation like myself but the idea of transhumanism - from man to machine is way out of my league, and certainly way out of my time.

"The human body is a disgusting thing, always leaking and releasing gas. It ages and eventually dies, so it makes sense that humans become machines. That's evolution"

Guardian Pick

All a bit to heavy for Mothering Sunday? Probably Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: From transgender to transhuman

Resistance is Futile I guess...

The+Borg

Community Veteran

"The human body is a disgusting thing, always leaking and releasing gas. It ages and eventually dies, so it makes sense that humans become machines. That's evolution"

So we will blow a fuse and have exhaust pipes. Not much change then.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

With the growing number of medical implants and mechanical devices we can have fitted in our bodies I would think it more likely we'll become hybrid humans rather than be replaced by machines. Who will fix the machines is probably the trickiest question?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

To be honest, for some of us who live with bodies that are screwed up, having your mind moved over into a machine isn't such a bad thought. At least when it goes wrong you just replace the parts.. unlike human bodies with need surgery.

I'd happily accept a cloned version of myself but my GP still isn't making any progress with that despite asking him numerous times.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Assuming any of this became reality and we could have a clone of ourselves I wonder how we would get along if put in a dark room together? Would we instantly hit it off or would we argue and fall out? Huh

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@7up

If your mind was moved over into a machine what would happen to your real body? Would you want it kept alive or let it die? Attending your own funeral might seem an odd experience.

Community Veteran

Well obviously if the ability to store it was an option then I'd prefer that in case they'd be able to fix all my ailments. If a cloned body was available with a blank slate for a mind then i'd prefer to be moved into that instead of my original body.

As for what i'd do if they couldn't store my original body.. well.. it wouldn't last long without life support would it so i'd be forced to wave it goodbye. No I wouldn't be happy about it.. but it's not been much use to me over the years of my miserable existence.

Community Veteran

I'd probably get bored as a machine, no sense of touch, no trouser-region attachments to play with, no intimacy with female robots, no pleasures of taste and smell, being a robot would be depressing... Sad

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

We've started in a small way by replacing bits like heart valves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart_valve#/media/File:Mechanical_heart_valves.jpg and various joints.

@7up If you were to start with a blank slate for a brain, I'm worried Microsoft might get the contract to supply the OS, and perhaps the facial recognition software would come from the people who supply the passport checkers, so unless someone looks straight at you with a serious expression and doesn't wear anything on their head, you won't recognise them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Let's make this complex subject even more complex.

If a copy of your dna was made but any faulty parts of the structure such as those causing disability or disease were replaced with good dna so your body could be recreated and your memory stored on a computer which could then be transferred to your ' new body ' would you go for it ?

Community Veteran

That brings up the old chestnut of Star Trek's transporter.

One body destroyed another created.

So is it still really you or just a copy with your memories?

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Let's make this complex subject even more complex.

If a copy of your dna was made but any faulty parts of the structure such as those causing disability or disease were replaced with good dna so your body could be recreated and your memory stored on a computer which could then be transferred to your ' new body ' would you go for it ?

No because its only memories not the consciousness. If the actual consciousness could be transferred then yes.

Can't remember who posted after you (flaming forum - SMF used to show all the previous posts on the reply page) but he trekkie transporter is kinda a good example here. Unless you can physically move the particles, copying them and destroying the source means the source is gone for ever and no matter how accurate the copy is, it isn't the same.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

We are getting into the realms of cartesian dualism here and for me at least much to heavy for the early hours of a Monday, but let's just say that whilst I do not subscribe to the view that mind and body are separate, I'd rather not take the chance of finding out I'm wrong in another construct mechanical or otherwise.

A never ending life promised by God and now by man. What a nightmare Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

Good lord man, speak English!! Shocked I had to Google that to even understand what the heck you were talking about!!

What was it you were saying about 'much too heavy for the early hours'? I need a lie down Undecided