Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From paper to data trails.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

From paper to data trails.

Many here will already know and be aware of this but it's amazing how much of a data trail we leave these days.

I started using the internet for my business and other things from day one and most if not all of it is still out there. Just type in your name real, imagined, or otherwise that you have used in the past into Google and see what pops up. Just one example from here - typing minivanman and my plusnet posts appear! On top of what I have put in ourselves we have what others have recorded such as company details, business and 'private' 

Should I be surprised well no, but it is all rather disconcerting.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
5 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: From paper to data trails.

It's amazing how much information that just your browser can reveal about you too: http://webkay.robinlinus.com/

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Minivanman
Hero

So which web proxy site would you recommend?

Thanks for the link. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Trouble is with that the data is sometimes wrong or out of date.

And usually when you type in your name......................

Well they say everyone has a double but on internet searches it's often several hundred.

Using that link "What every browser knows about you"

Not a lot apparently as the location and browser details were wrong.

Minivanman
Hero

Very true, I share my full name with a well known cartoonists and a rather esteemed university professor. As a post grad, one librarian at uni even questioned why I was borrowing my own book!

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Most forms ask for more information than is required, and with paper it was possible to ignore the questions one didn't want to answer.  On line, however, some seemingly irrelevant questions are 'starred' and have to be answered before you are allowed to continue.

One thing that bugs me is the constant obsession with race and sexuality.  I can understand why my local council, when consulting on the relocating of a pedestrian crossing, would want to know whether someone has, for example, a mobility problem or a visual impairment, but do people of different races, religions, or sexual orientations need special consideration when crossing the road?

A friend of mine who is a nurse kept getting letters from her registering body demanding that she declared her race, sexuality etc.  They claimed that it was in order to ensure everyone was treating equality.  Since nurses are only usually seen by their registering body when they have committed gross misconduct, surely the best way to ensure equal treatment is not to know their race etc.  After all you can't discriminate against a certain group unless you know who belongs to that group.