Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From our Naval Correspondent !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

From our Naval Correspondent !

For those interested ....

BBC2   20:00 tonight.......  Britain`s Biggest Warship..  Episode 1 of 3

Start of a documentary series about life on the new carrier, as the crew join it, and then begin learning how to handle it`s complex systems etc.

You may also be interested in these two stories, about the new F35B planes,

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2018/april/13/180413-final-test-flight-fo...

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2018/april/12/180412-stealth-fighters-pre...

19 REPLIES
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

Re: From our Naval Correspondent !

Thanks @shutter -recording set up.Smiley

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Recording? Who does that these days what with iPlayer, YouTube and downloads - or is it time to dust off that VCR?  smiley:

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman Haven`t a clue what @jab1 or you are talking about.... I didn`t know it was possible to record tv progs... is that something new? or something I have missed out on ? ? ? ? ? ?

jab1
All Star

Either of you heard of PVRs?Smiley

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

What is this television thing I keep hearing about? Is it like a streaming service that I have no control over and have to pay for without my consent? Funny

Community Veteran

@jab1 Not sure what your version is,.... but when we were "Security Checked"... the last thiing we wanted was PVR on our service record...

"Positive Vetting Refused"...  Fortunately, mine never was. !.

jab1
All Star

@shutter Humax PVR-9300T.Smiley

Never had your version.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

All flags flying and quite a sight I imagine especially for an ex naval man, but don't you think it's time for Britannia to stop pretending she rules the waves. We've not done that since the days of HMS Hood which was not only our biggest warship, but the biggest and most powerful one in the world, and it did not end well for her as many of us will know - far from it in fact.

Number thirty two in the ranks of Naval power according to one global firepower site, so is it just big boys toys we neither need or can afford, or are we like Tantalus of old stretching out for the unreachable. 

https://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-ships.asp

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

H.M.S.Hood...... Yes I have connections with that ship... One of the three survivors was my Communications Officer for 2 years... a very nice "down to earth guy"...   Also I have served with a nephew, of one who did not survive.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

A sight to behold and a beautiful looking ship. As a kid I had an Airfix model of it.  Smiley

Capture.PNG

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Watched it last night @shutter and it was fascinating - that's some some ship!

Hard to believe those crew numbers or that it's expected to last fifty years. Now looking forward to episode number two. Thumbs Up 

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  I agree... and I think the crew will be very proud to serve on her.... sea trials..... ooooh... lucky them... ! ! !

that is one period of my sea time that I did not enjoy.... however... it teaches you an unbelievable amount of stuff, that (believe it or not) carries you through, not only that period, but the rest of your life... 

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I got sea-sick just looking at that picture. Embarrassed Lips are sealed

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

No offshore fishing for you then! Wink