cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From a rather negative news item in the Times (paywalled)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

From a rather negative news item in the Times (paywalled)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/dementia-is-leading-cause-of-death-in-england-and-wales-l72c3...

Dementia kills more than Heart Disease

Seems bad doesn't it - but further down the article

The ONS says that because people are surviving other diseases, they can now live long enough to get dementia. Deaths are falling in almost every age group except the over-85s, where the number of people dying has risen by more than a quarter since 2001.

So is this good news or bad news

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: From a rather negative news item in the Times (paywalled)

For me, I'd say bad. It's all very well living in to your 80s+ but if you don't have all of your faculties then I'd prefer an earlier exit, even if that was with a one way ticket to Switzerland.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

and more folk over 85 are dying.... . Have they not recognised that 100% of people will die sometime, and so the 85+ figure is the default basket for those not previously deceased. It's just another way of saying we live longer.

TBH, of the two hear disease is the less fearsome. The effect is not so demoralising for those around, though the victim maybe quiet unaware himself. With the heart there are still humans interacting one with another.

Good or bad? It's that curate's egg of life, but on the ehole leaning to the good side. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd rather go quickly than suffer with dementia, my dad was working with dementia patients (up until gov. closed down the department he worked for), and the people he's worked with, well, I'd not want to go that way, especially as my own grandma suffered with dementia in her final years, last time I saw her, she didn't even know who I was...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Slightly misleading though because heart disease is still causing more deaths in men whereas here, dementia is the causing more deaths in women.

The bulk of the dementia deaths seen were among women - 41,283, compared to 20,403 dementia deaths in men in 2015.

Dementia, including Alzheimer's disease, accounted for 15.2% of all female deaths, up from 13.4% in 2014.

For men, however, heart disease remained the leading cause of death in 2015.

All types of cancer as a group was still the most common cause of death overall.

In the youngest age group, aged five to 19, suicide was the leading cause of death.

Among women aged 35 to 49, breast cancer was the biggest killer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

Having said that, it's what I fear most and I would certainly pull the plug on myself if I was heading downhill fast towards dementia with no cure or preventative measures available.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Good in parts then @Luzern Wink

Although with the old rapidly outnumbering the young maybe the government should give us a 'death before our time' allowance. It would help pay for that funeral.

Failing that, we could release some of that equity from our houses.... and buy buckets of blood from the young!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/04/can-we-reverse-ageing-process-young-blood-older-peop...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

I'd rather go quickly than suffer with dementia, my dad was working with dementia patients (up until gov. closed down the department he worked for), and the people he's worked with, well, I'd not want to go that way, especially as my own grandma suffered with dementia in her final years, last time I saw her, she didn't even know who I was...

Like you I would rather go quick.

I am fairly active and pain free for my age but the thought of losing my basic facilities so I needed someone to help me wash and dress and go to the toilet..... no thanks

With apologies to those who may be in that position...it's simply not for me, neither is a rest home where you are sitting around all day with a TV on morning to night.

Fixes: 125

I must admit I'd rather have a heart attack and hope it is over quickly than have dementia.

Watching my mum change over the last couple of years has been horrendous. Sometimes it can have its humorous moments like how she can remember vividly and relate experiences during WWII but have no recollection of breakfast that morningRoll eyes

Then it has very tragic consequences where she doesn't remember who I am or that she was even married yet is certain she was with her parents just days ago. And she has become like a frightened mouse where she doesn't want to be alone even for the 5 minutes it takes to make a cup of tea. She is just a shadow of her former self and it is so very sad for both her and the rest of the family.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It also worth noting there is something called pre senile dementia that can occur around 55 years of age so it's not just the elderly who suffer unless you call 55 elderly.