cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge/freezer in garage

Community Veteran

Fridge/freezer in garage

Anyone got a modern freezer or fridge in a garage without any problems? I know you're not suppose to use them in temps below 10c (except for some Beko models I think), but I am interested if anyone here has tried it on a modern freezer or fridge.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Fridge/freezer in garage

We have a small upright freezer ( about the same size a under the worktop fridge )... in a wooden "chalet" at the bottom of the garden... I don`t think it is well insulated down there... wooden outer walls with plaster board in the internal side... been there for 3.5 years... and doesn`t seem to be any problem.... had it in a tin shed prior to that for 6 months over the winter period, and again... no problems...
Community Veteran

Thanks...what make is it out of interest? I read somewhere that Bosch appliances will work in cold temps, but they just don't advertise it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do you have one of these? http://www.ukchestfreezers.co.uk/search.php?stype=5&qq=garage
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

That's a useful link - thanks.
Unfortunately the other half will not let me get a chest freezer, moaning about cleaning it/harder to organise things.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO is exact opposite - we want a second freezer to compliment the fridge freezer. I want an upright and she insists on a chest. Guess who's going to win that one Roll eyes
Also, we will have the exact opposite issue as the OP in that it will have to go in the conservatory. Very cold during the winter but extremely hot in the summer. I am assuming that during the hot summer days the motor will be working overtime Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Chest Freezers are great..... for storing dead bodies.... half a pig... but little use for pizza, frozen peas, left over dinners and other suchlike small quantities of food... so your missus is right to "not let you" get one... two "normal fridge" size freezers with drawers is much easier to find stuff in....
Just been down to the chalet..... can`t find a name or logo or any identification marks on it whatsoever..... missus thinks we "might have got it secondhand" !...
Community Veteran

We prefer not to have the Fire Starter make of fridge/freezer in our home. We just bite the expense bullet and buy Bosch. They just work without fuss.

ps a quick Google with "fire risk fridge freezer" is indicative.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
so your missus is right to "not let you" get one...

It's she who wants the chest. She thinks more can be stored. Possibly correct but not so easy to get at. The idea is that she will stock up by cooking exstra on a regular basis so that when she visits her family without me I'll have good, home-cooked meals for the duration.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: AndyH
I read somewhere that Bosch appliances will work in cold temps, but they just don't advertise it.

Last time I looked into this, I contacted Bosch tech support, who emailed me back this reply -
Dear  'purleigh',
Thank you for your email.
A non frost-free freezer will operate down to minus 6 degrees C and a frost-free freezer down to plus 2 degrees C.  This does not apply to fridge freezers.
Regards
Michael Inskipp
Bosch Product Advice Department
http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Thanks Purleigh  Wink
Bosch have some cash back offer also on a the moment so that seems sorted!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Cool    Cool !    Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

if your going with a chest freezer beko are the only people who have one rated for use in sheds and outhouses, ours hasn't had any problems in the last 2 years running in a wooden shed in the garden, I wouldn't have it in the house mind you  Grin
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

We have an Electrolux 14cu ft chest freezer that is now about 37 or 38 years old - yes really, bought about 1977!  Cheesy
For it's first year or so it lived in an "underground bunker" - an old coal hole under a main road in central London, connected to our basement flat.
We then moved out into the "Home Counties" and it went into a detached garage at least 50 yards from the house. In winter we would wade through snowdrifts across the garden to get to it!
After several years the house was extended and it was moved to an unheated Utility room where it sits to this day, unmoved for maybe 30 years. Still working.  Shocked
It endured winters that went down to about -20C (with serious plumbing issues in the house) without problems.
My father-in-law has a small standalone freezer that is in an outhouse by his back door, I think it's a Hotpoint. Works fine.
Community Veteran

We've a couple of fridge freezers in an outbuilding, both over 10 years old, both not recommended to use below 10c, both frequently below 10c.
The main issue I can see is condensation forming. Have stood them on pallets and have a solar powered extractor fan to keep airflow moving.