Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Freezer

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fridge Freezer

We have a small Cottage near our main residence, we occasionally use for extra overflow visiting Guests & Family. (Or small children therein !)

Quite a small kitchen, the Fridge Freezer has been playing up for a while, showing Fridge Compartment temperatures of 10ºC to 12ºC, way above the recommended 3ºC to 5ºC, though not having much food stored, most is in the Freezer Compartment, temperature -25ºC.

Anyway, with some extra guests arriving for the Bank Holiday, it was time to replace the FF.

Sunday, decision day.... we did some Internet Browsing, and settled on a FF from Currys, with Next Day time specific delivery, at no extra charge, so we plumped for that one.

The FF arrived within the time scale specified, and was unpacked by two very helpful Delivery Ops.

With a warning to wait 2 hours before switching on,  to allow gas bubbles to assimilate, the FF was switched on.

It is a very low Energy consumption rating, and you couldn't hear the compressor motor at all, just a slight hum if you placed your ear against the Fridge door.

The dying FF was 5 years old, and quite noisy, FF's have come a long way in 5 years.

The new one also has LED lighting.... no awkward bulb changes there !

Checked the temperatures after 24 hours, and adjusted control Thermostat slightly, now working within the expected range for a FF.

And half the price of the one it replaced !

It's not quite as wide, but is far deeper, similar capacity.

Now just need to stock up for the Bank Holiday Guests......

And perhaps look at changing some of our older, larger FF's

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Fridge Freezer

Absolutely riveting... How exciting...  Roll eyes

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Or as Spock from Star Trek might have said, "Fascinating".

Sorry @Infinity Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Infinity wrote:

The dying FF was 5 years old, and quite noisy, FF's have come a long way in 5 years.

Indeed, for one, their lifespan has shortened considerably... Shocked

Minivanman
Hero

Whatever happened the chest freezers? They seemed to be all the rage at one time although we never had one (or the room for one) ourselves. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Chest freezers are still around, though mostly a niche thing, they're popular with hunters & home butchers (such as people who raise their own animals for their own consumption) though, aswell as people who like to buy food in bulk and need somewhere to store things en-mass...

If I had the room I'd have a chest freezer, I miss having one, my uncle has one next door (same size as an under-counter fridge, so, not exactly "roomy"), but I like them because they're basically like a lidded bucket of water with the cold air, open the lid and nothing is spilled out, so they're quite energy efficient, but with a regular freezer, and fridge too for that matter, you open the door and all the cold air spills out and makes more work (and therefore increases energy consumption) for the compressor...

Minivanman
Hero

So mainly commercial not domestic then which is not surprising given the size of modern homes - after all, who wants to run out to the garage in either the rain or snow and rummage around in the cold for a packet of frozen fish fingers? Not me, that's for sure! Smiley

Community Veteran

@ Infinity

You probably didn't need to replace the old one, there's a very simple repair for unstable temperatures in the fridge compartment (assuming it is the auto-defrost type).

On the back wall of the fridge compartment you should find an angled channel that allows defrost water to drip out into a tray on top of the main compressor (where the considerable heat evaporates the water)

The middle (lowest point) of that channel is probably blocked with a slightly unpleasant sludge that needs to be cleared, some fridges come with a little device that is housed in that water outlet that just needs to be "twiddled" to clear the blockage. Another effective method is to use a drinking straw in the outlet and follow this up with a small amount of hot water, this is usually enough to fix the problem.

The problem is easily spotted as the inside of the fridge compartment gets very wet. The freezer continues to work normally.

Fridge manufacturers have known about this for donkeys years, some tell their customers, some don't. It is a nice little earner for refrigeration service engineers. The unscrupulous not only take thirty seconds to clear the fault, but charge £££'s for a new thermostat as well...

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

We've got a chest freezer that's less than two years old. When it arrived I was really disappointed at it's build quality the whole thing feels cheap and nasty and it flexes really easily. I know it's just a box and they're not the most stable of shapes but I'd have thought there would be some additional bracing but me thinks they missed it out in the build on this one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@petlew

That's a useful tip to know.

Thanks

Smiley

Fixes: 47

I have a chest freezer which is quite difficult to open.

Each time it is opened some warm air gets in.

When the lid is closed that warm air cools and shrinks creating a partial vacuum inside.

The lid seal is so good that you can hear the lid being pulled down tight by the partial vacuum inside.

Next time I need something from the freezer it's quite a wrestling match to open it.

Some time ago the handle pulled off as a result.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Embarrassed guess who is on his third handle because of that (actually second as I jury rigged it with superglue but the third is sitting on the shelf waiting to be fitted)

Fixes: 47

I never replaced the handle, I just get my fingers in the small gap between lid and side and pull hard.

The grand kids can't open it so it's a great child lock.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Strat wrote:

I have a chest freezer which is quite difficult to open.

Each time it is opened some warm air gets in.

When the lid is closed that warm air cools and shrinks creating a partial vacuum inside.

The lid seal is so good that you can hear the lid being pulled down tight by the partial vacuum inside.

Next time I need something from the freezer it's quite a wrestling match to open it.

Some years ago I remember seeing a freezer advertised with some sort of release mechanism built in to the handle, presumably this was a device to let air into the freezer at the moment of opening the door.  Maybe use some ingenuity to devise such a device yourself (may involve drilling a small hole in the lid)?

Another simple method I've used in the past is to leave a blunt rounded-end knife near the freezer, then insert the blade between the chest and seal, and twist/angle it slightly to make a small gap to let the air in.

I wouldn't have a chest freezer now due to having to pile things on top of each other, and as someone else said earlier, you then end up rummaging for items.

The only good reason I can think of for having one would be for storage of bodies until the opportunity comes to dispose of them. Wink

Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

Anyway, with some extra guests arriving for the Bank Holiday, it was time to replace the FF.

Sunday, decision day.... we did some Internet Browsing, and settled on a FF from Currys, with Next Day time specific delivery, at no extra charge, so we plumped for that one.

The FF arrived within the time scale specified, and was unpacked by two very helpful Delivery Ops.

When I bought the FF on Sunday, I used an old email address that I had registered with Currys ages ago..

This morning I received a Currys MegaDeal email.....

The FF had been reduced in price by £20 !

Along with many other items.

I rang Currys on their 0800 number, and was immediately credited with the £20 reduction in price, under their Price Promise.

Good Old Currys !