Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday:- 2nd reading of the daylight savings bill

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Friday:- 2nd reading of the daylight savings bill

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/daylightsaving.html
Bill summary:-
If the measure goes through, clocks would be shifted forward by one hour throughout the year. Instead of setting them to GMT in winter and GMT+1 in summer, they would be set to GMT+1 in winter and GMT+2 in summer....Clocks would still go forward in spring and back in autumn, but the sun would rise and set one hour later throughout the year.
I'm confused, I was under the impression we would stay on GMT + 1 and not bother changeing clocks, or stay as we are.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Friday:- 2nd reading of the daylight savings bill

I understood that was how it was being proposed so that effectively we would be going onto Central European time - the mucky red colour instead od GMT (Western European Time) the blue colour
Fixes: 47

It's nuts to me but whatever......let them get on with it and justify their existance Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Look, to solve this once and for all why can't the scottish have their own time zone? - They've got their own parliament now so it only seems logical.
I really don't see why they must go with our idea... It's because of them that we turn the clocks back - so they don't suffer.
One rule does not fit all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

T
HE Government has been asked if Scotland can have its own time zone by an MP as it prepares to debate a Bill backed by tourism bosses in Devon for Double Summer Time.
The Commons was told by Tory MP Greg Knight yesterday that Scottish MPs should have their own time zone rather than forcing the rest of the UK to change the clocks twice a year.
Commons Leader Sir George Young pledged that his views would be taken into account.
MPs have called for a trial over three years of Single/Double Summer Time (SDST), with clocks moved forward one hour ahead of GMT in winter and by two hours in summer.
The Bill will be debated on December 3 and is backed by Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw.
Community Veteran

I stand totally corrected!
Thankyou Wink
Community Veteran

It's not just Scotland that is affected, Wales, Devon and Cornwall, Northern Ireland - all are a good way west or north of the South East from where lots of the proponents come from.
As for a separate time zone in Scotland that is just daft - we are not big a country. Even an hours difference causes many problems for business - in that phoning offices in places on a different time zone. The work start time lunch time and finishing time all all times when someone won't be available.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
As for a separate time zone in Scotland that is just daft - we are not big a country.

I don't see it as daft at all. It's because of the Scots that we put our clocks back in the winter - to stop them moaning about how dark it is all morning. Yet we have to suffer down here with dark evenings instead because of it. If they have their zone and we have ours its a problem solved - we're all happy and there's nothing to keep moaning about.
The size of the country doesn't matter - what matters is that technically its 2 different countries and its about stopping the residents of both from moaning about it all the time.
James
Grafter

I think it's a fair assumption to say that the english moan too Smiley
Clocks going back in the winter means that I can actually see on my way into work, for which I'm grateful!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

especially when you are walking
as the originator of standard time, it is a bit thick asking us to leave it and join those over the water, I think all aircraft around the world use our standard time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and to please James, Sunrise to day would be 8.58 and sunset 16:52
Community Veteran

its true... we brits do moan... but not as much as the bloody french!!! They're arrogance on legs I swear...

Instead of the clocks why not move work start and end times twice a year.
James
Grafter

If you ask Parr I'm sure he'll tell you that I can give them a run for their money.
The girlfriend continually refers to me as the whinging pom Smiley

In your current job I guess you have an excuse.