cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French Open

randpwar
Grafter

French Open

Starts over the weekend. Still difficult to see beyond the top 3 in the Men’s for a winner.

3 Brits in the Men’s draw but all have tough 1st round matches. Kyle Edmund (born and bred in South Africa and so British that he lives in the Bahamas) has a local (Chardy), Cameron Norrie (Born in South Africa of Welsh and Scottish parents, raised in New Zealand but changed allegiance to Britain for funding reasons and learnt his tennis on the American College circuit) plays the very enigmatic Kyrgios who hopefully will beat himself and Dan Evans (From….well…Solihull!!) who has drawn a real toughie in Spanish clay court expert Verdasco

9 REPLIES 9
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: French Open

Is there an English translation for all of that? Smiley 

randpwar
Grafter

Sorry minivanman, not too sure what you mean. It's the French Open tennis starting this weekend which is one of the top 4 Grand Slam tournaments....so it's a big deal! So I posted this in case members wanted to discuss the potential progress of their favourite players, should they have any. I also, probably rather clumsily hence your comment, tried to introduce the topic of the LTA ( the British tennis governing body) despite receiving £millions each and every year from Wimbledon are completely incapable of producing home grown top players. Even going back a generation, Murray was taken away from LTA influence, Henman was born with a grass court in the family back garden and Rusedski is Canadian!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Sorry also.

Just me not having the first clue about tennis. The Mrs just loves it though!

Enjoy. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

@randpwar wrote which is one of the top 4 Grand Slam tournaments....so it's a big deal! So I posted this in case members wanted to discuss the potential progress of their favourite players, should they have any. I also, probably rather clumsily hence your comment, tried to introduce the topic of the LTA ( the British tennis governing body) despite receiving £millions each and every year from Wimbledon are completely incapable of producing home grown top players. Even going back a generation, Murray was taken away from LTA influence, Henman was born with a grass court in the family back garden and Rusedski is Canadian!

You are quite right to highlight the LTA. Last year they received over £40m from Wimbledon (AELTC) but still went on to post a loss of £8.8m in their accounts partly due to losing the Aegon sponsership. Where did all this money go? Many have asked this question because as you say it hasn't gone to produce top players. The new CEO, Scott Lloyd, earned £420k in 2018 - obviously not paid on results!

I'm looking forward to getting my Wimbledon tickets shortly. This year we will have 2 covered courts to keep play going in case of bad weather.

Community Veteran

Just watching a reasonably good match between Halep and Linette. Looks like Halep will win in straight sets. Some strong hitting from both girls.

A pity about Edmunds. It looks like the knee is going to require surgery and that could put him out all season.

@randpwar I have to agree with your comments about the top 3 in the men's draw. I hope Djokovic repeats last year's result but Nadal will certainly be attempting to take his 12th French Open.

Community Veteran

Well what a turn around. Linette played her heart out to take the 2nd set. All to play for in the 3rd.

On paper this looked like a straight win for Halep but Linette isn't letting go.

randpwar
Grafter

@artmo it's really quite frustrating how the next generation, or maybe the one after that, haven't been able to break the strangle hold of the big 4. I guess there's hope, Zverev and Tsitsipas are talented..... shows how exceptional Federer and co are!
Community Veteran

Well Djokovic out. PitySad

What conditions they have had this week in Paris. Rain most days and  Federer and Nadal were playing in a sandstorm yesterday. Today's semi was played in very windy conditions and it will be interesting to see how the Ladies Final survives these conditions this afternoon.

Thankfully we have 2 courts at Wimbledon that can be covered so that will give us a little bit of an advantage.

randpwar
Grafter

It's Nadal for me though I think I'm right in saying that Thiem has beaten him on clay before.
Just watching Dan Evans in the Surbiton Challenger via the ATP website. 1 set all and 2 all!