cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French Driving Laws

nadger
Rising Star

French Driving Laws

Just spotted this on Eurotunnel web site.
New French driving laws
French driving laws have changed.  From 1 October 2008, all vehicles driven in France, including vehicles registered outside of France, MUST have one Hi-Viz reflective jacket and one warning triangle in their vehicle. The reflective jacket has to conform to EU standard and must be inside the car – not in the boot. On the spot fines varying between €90 and €135 will apply.

I do have triangle and jacket in boot so best move jacket to glove box.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: French Driving Laws

Germany has had the triangle rule for a number of years, not sure about the hi-viz though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I thought triangles were law in a lot of European countries - bought my first one back in the 60s. First aid boxes used to also be a requirement.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm going to have to get the triangle at some point myself. I've been meaning to get one for ages but £8 for one? - I could make one cheaper than that!
Still I'm hoping to take my mrs to france next year for a romantic trip away (and a trip to a few scrappies who have renault safrane parts!) so I suppose I must stump up the cash at sopme point!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I'm sure I got current triangle in Aldi - can't remember price but better than a fine of between £70 and £108.
I wouldn't put it past French police to set up a checkpoint outside harbour gates  Angry
N/A

Yeah, when you pull out of the ferry/eurotunnel terminal, save yourself the bother of getting stopped, by wearing hi-viz jacket with triangle on head.
One thing thought, the quote says Jacket. I'd have thought the requirement would be a tabard with 2xbelt and single braces reflective materials.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it gets more so
   1. Drink driving limits are 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, not 80 mg as it is in the UK. This means less than one glass of wine or pint of beer and you will be over the limit.
   2. You must have a florescent jacket in the car, (not the boot), for each person in the car. A lot of people mistakenly assume they only need one for the driver. *
   3. It is illegal to travel without spare bulbs and fuses for your vehicle. *
   4. Unless you have a new style EU number plates then you must have GB sticker on your car.*
   5. Warning triangles are to be used in the event of breakdown. *
   6. You must have Headlamp Beam adaptors fitted for continental driving, even if you are travelling on the first day of your trip during the daylight. *
   7. You MUST take photocopies of your insurance, vehicle registration documents, MOT etc. as you may need them at customs,  but definitely if you get stopped by the police.
   8. You will need both parts of your driving licence with you.
   9. On Toll roads you take a ticket when you enter and you pay when you leave, so they can see how many km you travelled.
  10. Don't assume any hire car has the correct items listed above, ASK before you book the car and check when you pick it up.
Fixes: 47

So there are no hitch hikers in France then. Undecided
If they don't have a Hi-Vis jacket you can't pick them up. Smiley
If they stand at the side of the road with a jacket on thumbing a lift you will think they are workmen and wave back. Smiley
A no win situation Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I understand the need to have the necessary documents but if stopped by the French police has any one been asked to show them their triangles, spare bulbs and fuses? Do they check your headlights for the adaptors?
N/A

You can see the adaptors stuck to the headlights surely?
All thats required to check them is a glance at the front of the vehicle isn't it?
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
All thats required to check them is a glance at the front of the vehicle isn't it?

Not on my car it isn't. It can be switched from left to right dip in seconds with switches on the headlamp units, so no masking needed.
And the car came with a warning triangle and first-aid kit "built-in" from new.
Just need to get some high-viz jackets from my daughter (a civil engineer, so she has loads).... Roll eyes
Though quite how I car spare headlamp bulbs is a mystery - Xenon lights that only a dealer can work on.  Crazy
Community Veteran

Same with my fathers Volvo V70, actually - to replace the headlamp bulb one has to remove the entire front bumper so it's a job for a garage, not a roadside job.
B.
Community Veteran

So if you are driving your V70 in France and a headlight goes out and you have spare bulbs are you are ok and legal, even if you cannot change the bulb yourself?
sassy62
Grafter

On the spot fines varying between €90 and €135 will apply.

Depending on whether your French or Englisssss I spose... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hence the latter would mean €135 then Smiley