Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeware Database

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Freeware Database

Hi All
I am looking for a freeware barcode inventory software, So that I can inventory all my movies, I do have a barcode scanner.
Plus to keep a list of all property in the home, for the household insurance.
Any help welcome.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Freeware Database

When I was looking for something similar a couple of years back (stack load of car parts before you ask) I couldn't find anything that suited me.
I ended up writing something myself using html, php and ajax. It was basic but did the job.. until I started misplacing things  Crazy
If its any help though, a normal barcode reader just reads ascii - in other words acts as a keyboard so you can generate your own barcodes using nothing more than a font!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I can make barcodes already, I am wanting to use my barcode scanner to scan the barcodes on the movies in to a database for the household insurance, plus keep a list of all property in the home, for the household insurance.
Would your home maid Database work for me!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Midnight
Would your home maid Database work for me!

Probably not if I'm honest as it was a bit crap - it was done in a hurry for a basic purpose. It's certainly not something I would ever offer to anyone else as its nothing like what you'd want from a proper program.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Sprite, I have ordered from eBay Microsoft Works 8.5, Full Version, I hope that it does the job for me!
kmilburn
Grafter

I hope so too...  Shocked
An alternative should you have issues with MS Works,  Libre Office contains a database tool  called base,  which is similar to MS Access.
If you want to get a bit more adventurous, you could use a 'proper' database, with MySQL or PostgreSQL.
csogilvie
Grafter

There used to be some software which could also read the titles of the DVDs if you put them in the drive for those without barcode scanners...
I'm trying desperately to think what it was called and what license it worked under, though!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9