cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview retune tomorrow (17th Oct 2012)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Freeview retune tomorrow (17th Oct 2012)

Channel numbers are changing: http://www.dmol.co.uk/Consultations
This event includes the postponed move of the HD channels to 101+
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Freeview retune tomorrow (17th Oct 2012)

From the listing given, it appears that it only affects the Manchester area.... not Nationwide?  am I correct?
Community Veteran

Came up on my TV today, and I'm nowhere near there!
Roberto0151
Grafter

I'm not too far from Manchester, but as I have no interest in the HD or "adult" channels, I guess I have no need to bother with retuning. Does anyone know anything to the contrary?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have had no notification on my TV down here on the south coast... so won`t be bothering myself over it ! ...
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
From the listing given, it appears that it only affects the Manchester area.... not Nationwide?  am I correct?

the notice came up on STV, central Scotland
Heloman
Grafter

I've been getting the "pop-up" warning to retune tomorrow, here in Bath. But I've only seen it on Channel 5.
My in-built Freeview re-tunes itself, so I'll just wait and see if anything happens  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm on the Mendip transmitter as well and saw the pop-up. That's what prompted me to look at the dmol site.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
CX
Grafter

Excellent. I always hoped they would rearrange LCNs so that in a combined Freeview + Freesat setup even more channel numbers conflict.
Minerva

I haven't re-tuned my Freeview box for nearly a year - still get Dave on Ch 19! Far too many channels anyway.  Grin
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I actually had to retune my HD Freeview boxes today !!
The Channel selector and EPG were missing BBC1 HD and BBC HD, and possibly a few other HD channels ?
So I did an auto retune on both boxes, et voila, back to normal, all HD channels I usually get on my Freeview Lite local transmitter. ( Fed from Winter Hill )
Funny thing though, on the last retune day a few weeks back, and today, one of the HD boxes seized up, one needed a power reboot a few times, the other just needed an auto retune to pick up the HD channels again.
I contacted the manufacturer (Technisat) last time, they had no answer, nor did the UK repairer.
However, the seizing up disappeared the next day on that box.
I have no explanation, except perhaps the box was confused at not finding some HD channels.

My SD Freeview boxes, and my HD ready but SD TV's didn't require retuning,  as the HD ready but SD TV's don't receive HD off air.
Just through HDMI.
Fixes: 125

Both my TV and YouView box showed all channels exactly where they had been and no notice to retune on either.
I retuned anyway and now have the new channel line up.
One thing seems a bit odd is that when you are on CH4HD at 104 if you press the up key you go straight to the adult section. Could cause some embarrassing questions being asked if you press the up key to often and miss Ch4HD while the kids are watching Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: shutter
From the listing given, it appears that it only affects the Manchester area.... not Nationwide?  am I correct?

No, you aren't correct. It affects the whole of the UK. You may not get a proper EPG if you don't, and you may not get some channels, depends.
@Mav
There was obviously some "debate" as to where to put the Adult channels if you read the outcome of the consultation and appeal. Don't know why they didn't stick them in the 500's, some would say in the bin!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
One thing seems a bit odd is that when you are on CH4HD at 104 if you press the up key you go straight to the adult section. Could cause some embarrassing questions being asked if you press the up key to often and miss Ch4HD while the kids are watching Roll eyes

On all my Freeview boxes and TV's I can select which channels are "Favourites",  or skip or delete Channels, so this shouldn't be a problem if you can do the same.
And these channels don't show in my EPG's
Channel up / down just selects channels I have set, I can go to other channels if I type in the channel number, if not deleted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

That does work on a lot of boxes.
Deleting the Adult stuff is probably the best if you have young children, probably not much point if they are older, they'll just tune them in again !!