cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview, - channel changes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

Freeview, - channel changes

Freeview are doing some extensive channel changes , between now and the end of JULY.

Mostly this affects BRISTOL and the SOUTH WEST..   also CARDIFF and South Wales.

to check what is happening, and when you are likely to be affected... here is a linky for you..

https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/upcoming-changes

Note... further changes are scheduled after JULY so you may well be affected later....

49 REPLIES 49
Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 4

Re: Freeview, - channel changes

So all you Freeviewers have to fiddle around resetting your sets and recorders!Evil Poor dears, having only Lite or out of area signal available I can just sit back with Freesat, AND I can spy on all your regions. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern   Nope... you are totally out of touch....

to retune. takes a couple of cllcks on the remote.... then a wait of about 2 minutes and the job is all done.

only thing you may need to do, after the re-tune, is to reset the "subtitles" as, by default, they are not restored.

idonno
Pro
Fixes: 1

Don't even have to do that @shutter , my ancient TV automatically updates the Freeview channels all by itself.Smiley

@Luzern I use to use Freesat but can't recall the last time I switched it on. Could do with a tidy up really with it heading for the bin. Best buy though as to be the Amazon Fire, they get far more use than the rest added together.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

It`s no big deal.... unless you have Freesat.... and "look down" upon the poor people who cannot afford the sat dish, and other peripherals...

you still have the tedious task of pressing a button on the remote to switch it on, change channels, AND switch it off... how tedious can life get  ? ?

SportyMilo
Grafter

I'm leaving Sky Q on Friday and have just moved my fibre over to PN so I need to get the LNB changed to get freesat. I probably will just to give me options but without a box I'm not sure if I'll use it much. I plan to do most of my viewing streaming but from what I've seen getting the hosue ready for sky switch off freeview updating is painless!

wotsup
All Star

Anyone who has a sky dish not being used can get freesat with a change of LNB, but get an ' oval ' LNB designed to get signal from oval dish. We get free view as well through aerial but hardly gets used.  Our tv has satellite input and we got a twin tuner Humax freesat DVR so with a quad LNB can watch one channel and record two at same time, and freesat in bedroom.  Humax also connects to internet via cable or WiFi so can get all the catchup  on demand programs and Netflix etc. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@shutter wrote:

It`s no big deal.... unless you have Freesat.... and "look down"

The only reason they look down on Freview users is because the satellite is in orbit. Funny

TTman
Pro

@SportyMilo I have plusnet tv and Freesat . the tv i have receives freeview and freesat built in. If you want Freesat you do not have to change the dish or LNB just if your tv is not set up for freesat you need a freesat box. My dish and LNB were originally for sky and as I say works perfectly for freesat.Smiley

TTman
Pro

Sorry @SportyMilo  just checked and it looks like if you had sky q you will need a new LNB for Freesat...obviously I am out of date from when I did skyRoll eyesRoll eyes

Highlighted
SportyMilo
Grafter

@TTman I believe because sky changed the LNB for SkyQ it won't work until I change the LNB back to regular Sky HD - or at least that's what I've been told! Dish is fine and the tv I have will accept Freeview and Freesat.

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 4

@idonno wrote:

Don't even have to do that @shutter , my ancient TV automatically updates the Freeview channels all by itself.Smiley

@Luzern I use to use Freesat but can't recall the last time I switched it on. Could do with a tidy up really with it heading for the bin. Best buy though as to be the Amazon Fire, they get far more use than the rest added together.

@idonno  What's ancient? My TV is analogue and dumb. Memo: must get Erin Dors to sanction a new one!

Your Freesat, is it the BEEB one or the Sky fake?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sat dishes are fast becoming old hat @shutter  (in fact some might even wearing them as one) and so much so that those old Sky decoders are being given away and I've even dumped a couple. Dishes have become rusty of course but they really are easy to line up if you have a mind to. Personally though, I'd not bother.

wotsup
All Star

Still not ready to put all eggs into the internet basket, after all freesat costs nothing, picture quality is excellent and once you have got dish and you can still get all the internet stuff through a decent freesat set-top box with DVR as well. I will go internet if and when satellites fall out of sky. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I put ours up some ten years back (I used to install them for a living as well) but disconnected it leaving it in situ for our neighbour to use - which he still does. We shared the dish using a quad LNB.

We have an aerial for Freeview out back - we can actually see the repeat transmitter, and all else comes in online via fibre so...