cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview, channel changes ... are you going to have to re-tune?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Freeview, channel changes ... are you going to have to re-tune?

It wasn't useless for a friend of mine.

Initially they sent him some filters to try and when that was unsuccessful they sent out an engineer who resited the external aerial which improved the signal to an acceptable level.

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Jonpe
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 8

@VileReynard, are you getting all the channels you should be getting from Crystal Palace?  After the 'reallocation' which took place in the spring of last year, I lost a number of channels, or rather the signal is too weak to make it reliable.  The channels in multiplex COM7 and 8 I think are the ones affected.

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

I get lots of channels - I think some of the signal strengths might have decreased slightly - previously everything was a 10 but a few are now 7 or 8. I tend to stick with BBC mostly because all the adverts mess up programmes.

Since when did sticking an icon continuously on the screen become a thing? Seems to be removed for the adverts...

I wonder if this could be used to drive an automatic advert removal thing on my PVR?

Various Bit Torrents of Scandi-Noir TV series don't have the icons or the adverts.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

arjay
Rising Star

Video requires more bandwidth than these people talking nonsense or sending tweets and cat pictures to each other.

Thumbs Up

Jonpe
Seasoned Champion

In the early days of home video a device was advertised in the video-related press that claimed to cut out the commercials during recording.  I don't know how it worked but ITV, and possibly other channels (we didn't have that many in those days), did have two little vertical white bars appearing in the top (right I think) of the picture a few seconds before the ad break so that might have something to do with it.

Said device wasn't available for long so perhaps it didn't perform as promised, or perhaps it wasn't strictly legal.

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion

Yes - I remember thinking at the time that if someone invented a clever gadget to cut out adverts they would make their fortune...

Obviously, I wasn't quite up to speed with capitalist production modes. Cheesy

Apparently, those vertical bars are called "cue dots" - see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_mark

In the good old days [sic] I remember seeing a green C briefly flashing up on films at the cinema, which was some kind of warning for the projectionist to load the next reel of film. In these digital days, it seems to be obsolete.

arjay
Rising Star

I remember the cue dots on films which If I remember correctly was a white circle.I don't recall any bars on the tv screen but I do remember a flashing white bar across the top which apparently had something to do with the run up to teletext or whatever it was then called. Undecided

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Yep, Teletext (ITV) & Ceefax (BBC).
The data was transmitted on a normally unseen part of the the picture but if the picture was out of alignment it was possible to see the data stream.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Highlighted
Jonpe
Seasoned Champion

It looks like the bars are still there, maybe I just don't notice them, and with additional moving bars on the left.  This picture is from 2012 I think: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9lh-ZnwOTrA/maxresdefault.jpg

Before Teletext, the ITV text service was called Oracle, C4 had 4-tel, and I think C5 had 5-text (must have taken hours of marketing gurus' time to come up with that one).

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion

Note the ITV1 Logo [Yuck].

But I don't recall ITV+1 existing until the last year or two - possibly a repeat showing?

You can watch the last moments of Ceefax at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPv127VLsis

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 7

ITV+1 was launched in January 2011 apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_(TV_channel)

Jonpe
Seasoned Champion

I'm pretty sure I've had ITV+1 as long as I have had digital TV; being a late starter I only got it in August 2011 which fits with @pjmarsh's post.

TeeGee
Rising Star

I am new to Freeview (had multi satellite until wife wanted the house extending.....) and find it a pain only being able to access one transmission source. What is really aggravating is that Winter Hill defaults to North Wales.......  There seems to be no way to reset a default by wiping everything clean and retuning manually.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

@TeeGee  If you still have your satellite dish... you may find you have better reception on FREESAT... google it, and see what you need... or you may be able to find a "satellite tuner" box, that you can tune yourself into various other European satellites

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion

I get a choice of London or Reading (high population density) - but a full choice probably depends on which way your aerial is pointing.