cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Tip

oldgeezer
Grafter

Freeview Tip

Now that the TV transmitters are moving over to digital transmission and power levels are being increased, (by a factor of 17.4 times in the case of Emley Moor), it appears that retuning events are becoming problematic.
Integrated TV's and set-top boxes are now finding many other multiplexes from more distant transmitters and re-tuning often places the "wrong" transmissions in the lower numbers of the channel list. This can mean picture breakup if say the box/TV places a distant transmission in for instance the  BBC1 position.
You can get round this by manual tuning but this is complicated at the best of times.
A better solution is to buy an in-line attenuator from somewhere like Maplin and place this in the aerial lead whilst you carry out the re-tuning.
A 12 dB attenuator costs just a few pounds and reduces all the signal levels so that the set tunes in to only the strong local signals. It can then be removed when the re-tuning is completed. Just  fasten it to the aerial lead with a rubber band for when it is next required.
oldgeezer.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Freeview Tip

I did a retune the other day from Emley Moor and ended up with what I guess was Yorkshire East coast channels.
I didn't notice until BBC Look North came on but I didn't recognise the presenters.
I did a retune making sure my postcode was entered correctly and now it's back to normal.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
oldgeezer
Grafter

The postcode option sounds a good idea but my 3  Panasonic TV's and Toshiba DVD recorder do not offer this option despite being less than 2 years old.
I guess only certain equipment offers this option.
oldgeezer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The only bit of kit I have that asks for a postcode is my Humax FreeSAT box. It does this why ? No idea.
Both my freeview boxes just tune it in.
Fixes: 47

I have a Humax Freesat box, 2 Samsung TVs and Media Centre on this PC and all at some point in the setup ask for a Postcode in order to ensure the correct channels are installed and the appropriate program list is downloaded.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 101

free sat boxes ask for your post code to give you the correct ITV and bbc region Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you want to manual tune Emly Moor
ITV moved to C51 on Sept 7th
21st Sept - a lot of changes, the new active C41, C44, C47, C48 s the main with C51,Chn52 and C56 for local station
Emley also feeds these transmitters, Keighley, Idle, Sheffield and Chesterfield
pierre_pierre
Grafter

channels used by the Emley Moor subs  - the Red symbol on map means work in progress
                Emley  Keithly  Idle      Sheffield  Chesterfield
                21sep  21 sep  21sep  Aug            Aug
BBCA        47        61          24        27          26     
BBCB        41        54          27        21            29
D3+4        44        58          21        24            23
SDN          51      57          42        42            43
ArqA          52        53          45        45            46
ArqB          48        60          49        39            40
Local        56        56                        55
nadger
Rising Star

Emley Moor is taller than the Eiffel Tower - useless fact  Smiley
Keep meaning to drive up to it when we go to Huddersfield to see our daughter.
Will await problems when she rescans box next Wednesday.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Even if any of my equipment asked for the post code, which they don't, it still wouldn't get me the right channels. The post code predictor is notoriously unreliable. Since freeview started, it's given three different transmitters for my location.
It initially came up with Bilsdale, then Belmont and finally Sheffield. All the aerials on our road are aligned on Emley Moor.
Oldgeezer.