cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Play to air retune London (June 2020)

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

Freeview Play to air retune London (June 2020)

I got a notification to retune my Freeview box (as some channels are moving and I don't leave it plugged in 24/7 or it would auto update).

I was surprised to see the number of channels (184).

Is this what most people get?   

I think this list maybe out of date as Yesterday is now on channel 25, does anyone have a better list?

https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewchannels.html 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,053

Re: Freeview Play to air retune London (June 2020)

Does the 184 include radio, if it does sounds about right.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

There are some extra channels which say they have moved after reduction of channels to free space for mobile signals.  A lot of the +1 channels are no longer there. Some of the HD signals have gone as well.

Not all TVs retune themselves. My fairly old Samsung puts the moved channels at 800 and above.

If you have a lot of extra channels they may be received from 2 areas for example Crystal Palace the London transmitter and from Southern area transmitter etc.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

The reason for the retune is the closure of the COM8 Mux (which was a temporary Mux)

Some of the channels will be moving to COM7, and a couple to BBC B if I remember correctly. Some will cease altogether, mainly pointless +1s

Details of the changes can be found on the Freeview site 

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/22-jun-2020-channel-broadcast-changes

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

I'm up North on the Winterhill transmitter and my HDHomeRun TV tuner picked up 205 channels.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Also up north with the winter hill transmitter.

Hardly a week goes by without a message appearing on the tv and pvr to update the channels, can even get that message several times in the same week.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Need to know if you need to re-tune  

check this site

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/tv-changes

scroll down a bit and put in your postcode and house number  ..

Highlighted
Pro

I have one tv that is always asking to be updated, even hours after it's been done.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

One of my bookmarks is tvguide.co.uk (it does what it says on the tin!) and any upcoming Freeview changes are normally mentioned on the news bar at the top of the screen.

Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yep well I know a couple of the transmitters.

Crystal Palace is the main one for London.

Bluebell Hill is (I believe) the main one for the South.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

On Emley Moor (yorkshur) 179 channels. Have had message about retuning but have not got round to doing it yet!Smiley

Highlighted
Pro

The biggest problem with retuning is sometimes you lose other settings too such as Favorites and some internet logins if a full reset is needed.

Following a kitchen refurb we put a Freeview TV on the wall and it really is hopeless. South of Winter Hill in North Cheshire the variations in signal strength are considerable and a lot of the HD channels break up. The aerial is new and correctly aligned.

IMHO you can't beat satellite for consistency and picture quality.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Before I finally got shot of Virgin Media TV service I had the local aerial company out to install a tv aerial as we had never had one, always been on cable TV.

I was expecting a big aerial up on the roof like several of my neighbours have & still use.

Installer said nope, you don't need a roof aerial like that in this area - this smaller loft aerial is perfect for freeview at this location.

Up in the loft he went, aerial installed, set up & cables ran neatly to both TV sets in well under an hour.
Everything tuned in with signal strength & signal quality both reporting back at 100%

Chatting to the aerial installer apprantly the transmitter you get your TV signal from effects what type of aerial you need to get a decent reliable signal plus how its installed & aligned is extremely important to.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I happen to like the +1 channels; handy if you get home later than expected (news is still news even if it's an hour old). And if there is a cluster of programmes I want to record at prime time on the same evening, I don't have to miss out on any of them.

When retuning I have on a couple of occasions ended up getting 'duplicate' channels in the 700-range; I think they are from some kind of local 'booster' transmitter a short distance north-east of here.

The main chore when returning I find is having to re-select any recordings I've set up for the following seven days.

Highlighted
Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

I happen to like the +1 channels; handy if you get home later than expected (news is still news even if it's an hour old). And if there is a cluster of programmes I want to record at prime time on the same evening, I don't have to miss out on any of them.

That's what "catch-up" is for.

Personally I find the concept of still watching (or recording for that matter) programmes at a time the broadcaster dictates somewhat ludicrous in this day and age. I done away with linear viewing several years ago now and don't regret it one bit.