cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview HD

Fixes: 121

Freeview HD

A message appeared informing me of new channels available on the DVB (Freeview) part of my Panasonic TX-P42G20B.
I let it retune and now have new channels as follows:
50 BBC1 HD
51 ITV1 HD
52 Channel 4 HD
54 BBC HD
The problem is that each of these channels (although the on-screen guide appears to display the correct information) indicates that there is No signal.
The TV most definitely has a Freeview HD tuner. I am in East Kent but haven't been able to find any information on this as yet.
It's not a major problem as the TV has Freesat HD as well. But I would like to be able to access all available channels.
Does anyone have any clues as to why I should get the  No signal message?
Edit: It does seem that for some people even if they have good signal strength for SD channels that it may not be good enough for HD. According to ExpertReviews it may a case of realigning the ariel or even having to buy a new one.
Another site, can't remember which, suggested that all will be OK once the switch-over has happened as signal strengths will be boosted.
Presently, the HD channels are showing a poor signal strength with a zero quality. All other channels are showing full signal quality and full or almost full signal strength.

Edit 2: To add to the confusion a link from ukfree.tv informs me that the Freeview HD channels will not be available till June 27th this year (switchover).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

89 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Freeview HD

Down here in Portsmouth ( Meridian TV) we were advised to do a re-tune on 21 March... which I did.... and subsequently lost 50% of my previous freeview channels..... I got onto the Digital TV website, and there is a "chat" facility, so I listed all the channels and then commenced a chat session.... the general gist of the conversation gave me the impression that I should have waited to retune, as only the main channels BBC & ITV  CH4 & 5 had been increased to full power... the others having been reduced slightly on the channels that I am missing.... there is a further re-tune needed on 18 April, when all the channels that I am not receiving, will be re-frequencied, and those existing ones will also be increased in power, and I would not need to do anything with my aerial  etc....
worth going on the website to have a chat and see what they say.
Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we lost one of our  Sudbury channlel set when the Talcneston transmitter came on site, it went onto very low power, not due to get it back until 6th June
The London area has just gone Digital only, did that affect you?
Fixes: 121

As far as I know our ariel is pointing towards dover although it does seem that there is a transmitter in Ramsgate which is much nearer
Ramsgate just covers a tiny area which is covered by the Dover one anyway (according to the site I linked to above).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The London area has just gone Digital only, did that affect you?
Doesn't happen until 4th/18th April.
Community Veteran

I would have thought that, fairly obviously, it's all part of the switchover and that the channels have been allocated and added to the index/guide but aren't broadcasting yet.
Just like BBC3 for example during the daytime.  Wink
itsme
Grafter

This morning went to listen to BBC Sports Extra for the F1 coverage, no signal and this applied to all BBC radio stations. Was working last week. So did a retune and got the radio stations back. But still suffering with picking up DTV channels from another transmitter and analogue channels. The transmitter that I am on is Sudbury and the digital switchover was last June/July. Before the switchover did not suffer from duplicate channels. So hopefully this will resolve itself when the switchover is complete.
nadger
Rising Star

Albeit we technically come under Sandy Heath our aerial points at London so Humax Freeview recorder brings up a warning, about April, every time we switch it on.
I did get the " Over 75" help prior to Sandy going fully digital so opted for cheap Freesat. Something we've never regretted  Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

A bit off-topic.
I have had (for the last few years) a "HD compatible" TV with builtin freeview tuner - does this mean that when the HD channels eventually start to broadcast that I will get a noticeably better picture on those channels?

Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I did get the " Over 75" help prior to Sandy going fully digital so opted for cheap Freesat. Something we've never regretted  Smiley

Did that for my in-laws in Peterborough and it was a good choice. (also did it ourselves on our main TV)
When you looked at their area, which is borderline on multiple transmitters with different changeover dates it was a total nightmare.
Can't recall the exact number but something like 20 retunes would have been required and they would still get the "wrong" local news bulletins.
We've got the odd Freeview set too so aren't immune.  Cool
(gets used occasionally for some channels that aren't on FreeSat)
PS AFIE - no. Unless you have a built-in HD Freeview tuner which is unlikley.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: A
A bit off-topic.
I have had (for the last few years) a "HD compatible" TV with builtin freeview tuner - does this mean that when the HD channels eventually start to broadcast that I will get a noticeably better picture on those channels?

No as you need a Freeview HD tuner.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So it's a total con.
The television is HD; but the tuner circuit isn't.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

One thing to be aware of.
Apparently all programs HD and SD via an HD box are encoded and you can't record them and play them through another device
Community Veteran

Jim, I don't understand what you are saying.  I have a humax box.  Are you saying it won't record progs?
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Doesn't happen until 4th/18th April.

You're right on the dates nadger.  We're having a message popping up on screen again this week confirming.  I won't be around on either date and the freeview people tell me after the 18th only one retune is necessary.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end