cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview HD channels

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Freeview HD channels

As my area - Rowridge Transmitter - has now gone full digital I decided that I should consider buying a new set top box to play HD on my full HD TV
A couple of nights ago I looked at what was available on BBC - using iPlayer and I was not impressed so I looked at what is available on all the HD Freeview channels http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Programmes and I have to say I can't see any point in buying a new box for this load of old rubbish
Having said all that - this is really cheap and seems quite good http://www.amazon.co.uk/i-Can-GBR2851T-Freeview-Digital-Receiver/dp/B00524YSYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electron...
Heck I could even connect it to my router with  an ethernet cable for iPlayer although given the lousy definition of the streamed programmes that doesn't seem to offer any real benefit
All comments gratefully received (well the polite ones anyway)
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Freeview HD channels

If you've got a full HD TV I'm surprised it hasn't got in in-built digital tuner which would enable you to get all of FreeView without a digibox!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

They have a digital tuner to get Freeview but not Freeview HD. I was in the same boat  20 months ago, which was 8 months before the Digital switchover, when I decided to go Free to Air to get the HD channels which I glad I did as the BBC are going to have 24 HD streaming channels for the Olympics.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My TV has the capability of receiving FreeVIew HD - but the reception is so crap they are unwatchable Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

couple of quid cheaper at play.com as there is no delivery to pay  Smiley
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/27728885/0/i-Can-Easy-HD-2851T-Freeview-HD-Set-Top-Bo...
Regards Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Sounds like a good way to eat up your new usage allowance Jim  Wink
@jelv, are you living in a valley?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

BBC iPlayer so-called HD downloads come in

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The only iPlayer 720p streaming H.264 I've watched was High profile, level 4.1, about 2700kbps video and 96 kbps aac stereo audio.
Freeview HD has about 40Mbit divided between all the HD channels. I doubt it can be worse than the rubbish mpeg2 quality of SD freeview!
@itsme - I thought the 24 extra Olympic channels were satellite, cable and online, but not Freeview.
Community Veteran

You are right there ejs, but channel 302 has been added to Freeview for extra Olympic coverage. I believe 81 is going to be used as well. Haven't really researched it yet.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
They have a digital tuner to get Freeview but not Freeview HD.

Really??  My Sony Freeview can get the HD channels.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

So could the later models of mine but most TV's over a couple of years old - marked as HD ready did not include an HD tuner
David_W
Rising Star

I use a HD box (Humax HDR Fox T2) and there isn't many channels on freeview that are in HD.  You get BBC1 and BBC HD (which has shows from all the BBC channels) and ITV HD, I think Channel 4 HD too but that's about it, if you watch a lot of the normal channels then maybe it's worth getting a cheap box although our normal standard (576i) isn't too far from 720p so with a good quality TV you may not notice much of a difference if you switch channels (just remember to get your eyes tested too, apparently lots of people with HD TV's are watching them without perfect eyesight via specs or normal good eyes so lose the charms of HD).
As for why older HD TV's can't pick up UK HD, we decided to use DVB-T2 rather than DVB-T which meant that HD TV's which could pick up OTA HD with the DVB-T standard can't pick up the DVB-T2 standard.  I used to use my PS3 as a freeview box with the PlayTV thingy, turns out it's DVB-T so when HD came we couldn't get it on the PS3.  Goodness there is a lot of red underlines in this post, either my spelling is bad or my eyes are Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

My Panasonic full HD has HD Freeview tuner which works fine with aerial booster.
Don't use it as have Freesat HD box and use Humax Freeview SD box to record.
Community Veteran

@nadger,I tried an arial amplifier by One-For-All and it had no effect at all on my reception.  What make are you using?
Community Veteran

artmo, what sort of signal level and quality have you got for each of the muxes? Too much signal can be worse than not enough.