cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview + HD Recorder advice

randpwar
Grafter

Freeview + HD Recorder advice

We have a Phillips (Pure) HDT8520 which gives an excellent picture on both HD and SD, however (and this is becoming a very big ‘however’), it has again started to ‘stutter’ the picture on HD. I say again as I have already taken one back to the retailer because of this problem. I originally bought the set in November and it worked fine until an ‘automatic’ install of firmware (v7 which has since been recalled from the manufacturers) when this ‘stuttering’ made it unusable. They replaced the set a month or so ago and I updated the firmware to the latest available version from the Phillips website. All was well until last night when it stuttered right at the end of Holby that SWMBO has recorded in HD.
That’s just to give you background. According to various forums on the product a new update is expected which, presumably, will get rid of this issue; I also think an update is due as Phillips removed the v7 a few days after the automatic transmission went out, I assume because of these issues occurring (don’t they ever test these things?) . What advice would you give me? Should I hold on (for a new v7) and hope that this problem doesn’t reoccur or should I go for a replacement, and if so which?

Rob
7 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Freeview + HD Recorder advice

I went for the Humax HDR-FOX-T2 HD freeview box (it has built in iPlayer now, still waiting for Sky player).  It's run pretty well, large hard drive, good quality on the old HD channels, even has built in wikipedia for some reason.  I'd say wait for the update and see if it still affects you, if it doesn't then there is no reason to change, if they can't fix it then shop around.
nadger
Rising Star

And don't forget that you can get some good offers here
Community Veteran

Agree with you there nadger.  That's where I got mine from.  Very pleased with it. Smiley Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

You have to agree, artmo, as it was you that recommended site to me  Wink
Community Veteran

I'm too modest to say Cool Cool
randpwar
Grafter

Hope I’m not told off for ‘bumping’ a thread but did the latest update last night and all is perfect; no issues at all. High Definition picture quality is second to none and even makes Andy Murray look good……well okay maybe not that good but let’s face it, nothing would  Grin; SD picture holds up pretty well also
nadger
Rising Star

Glad it's sorted - I know how frustrated I used to get with unreliable Thomson Freeview recorder before I dumped it in favour of Humax a few months ago.
Still record Freeview in SD but watch available HD ( only 4 main channels) using Freesat.