cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freesat

Fixes: 124

Freesat

Just treated my wife to a Panasonic TX-P42G20BA plasma TV.
It comes with built in Freeview HD and Freesat HD.
Am I right in thinking that as long as there is a satellite dish already installed at our houseI don't need to do (pay for) anything else other than simply connect it to the TV?
Edit : Never had any form of Satellite system before. Am I right in assuming that, as long as the dish is connected, I will still get the Freeview and terrestial channels or do I need to swap to the standard ariel?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

60 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Freesat

If its a Sky one it will definitely work, I should be pointed to the Astra 2D satalite at 28.2E  - thats for FreeSat
the freeview will need a separate Terrestrial antenna
you really need both as the program line up is different
Fixes: 47

Yes as Pierré says you will need to plug your terrestrial aerial lead into the aerial socket on the back of the TV and the satellite dish lead into the satellite socket on the back of the TV.
All you probably need to do then is tell the TV your postcode and let it set up your satellite channels. 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing you can do on fresat is get other BBC regional proograms from Channel  950
http://www.astra2d.com/channels.html  full list
on some you can manual tune, but you dont get the 14 day EPG
the list is huge  http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2d.php  this is just Astra 2d, you can also get Eurobird 1 and Astra 2a/2b, with out moving the dish, note only look at those broadcasting in clear

Thanks for the replies.
Strange but the satellite dish has a standard RF connector so just gonna pop out to Maplins...
Before I do I have another question:
I  have connected the TV to my home network and all tests prove OK. But now I am stuck. Apparently one can watch iPlayer, etc. via the TV but I can't find anything about how to do this. The manual isn't particularly informative and a google search hasn't been helpful either.
So far, accessing the Media Server option on the TV offers one option which is my PC (heading is: MynamePC:MynameSmiley. Clicking this gives a 'Connection to the server failed.' error.
I used the Auto Setup option and it has been given an IP of 192.168.0.5. This is shown on the Netgear's Attached Devices page as Unknown even though I kept the default name (VIERA).
So, something is amiss. Any clues, please, as it would be good to watch movies, etc. that are on my PC on the TV as well as iPlayer, ITVPlayer...
Thanks.
Edit: The connection is wired.
Edit2: It seems that you have to be watching the Freesat BBC1 channel then press the Red button with the network connected tow atch iPlayer. But still can't find how to access videos on my PC.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pierre_pierre
Grafter

on the Humax PVR you have to connect it to your router via ethernet

Thanks Pierre.
Edited my above post as you typed your reply. Yep, connected via ethernet.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I could also do with some info on this topic.
1. If your PVR is connected direct to your satellite dish can you also record 2 programs whilst watching a third one or is this not possible.
2. Motorised dishes are available which allow you to turn the dish from inside your house and fix on other satellites... has anyone got such a system and is worth the cost in terms of    the    quality of programs available. (Suspect I already know the answer to this)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

1) the Humax has two tuners so you can record two at the same time, if the third one you want to watch is on the same frequency you can watch that  see this list , look down the  page for say BBC 1 on  Astra 2d  the 10773 is the frequency the H is horizontal  you will see that BBC HD is on a different frequency an Vertical  9see below)
2) you can only get the Freesat EPG on Astra 2d.    Sone tuners output the signal fo the motorized disc and they cost from about £50
Try here www.satellitesuperstore.com  www.creativesatellite.co.uk and www.technomatedirect.com

My sat list is 21 A4 pages, 4 columns of small print
pierre_pierre
Grafter

forgot the link to the list  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E  and thats from a fixed dish

I've now connected what I thought was the Dish cable but no satellite can be found.
This leads me to one of three conclusions.
1) I didn't install the new connector properly (possible)
2) The dish isn't aligned (do they get out of alignment when they haven't been used for some time?
3) I have connected the dish to the terrestial input on the TV. If that as the case, would I still have been able to tune into the anaolgue and digital terrestial channels? The signal seems pretty strong.
I may swap cables later or try and chase the cable from the dish but that may be difficult.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the satelitte cable connector is one of these

the Terestrial connector 
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I have connected the dish to the terrestial input on the TV.

They would be quite different connectors so I don't see how.......
The terrestrial Freeview aerial would normally have a traditional TV plug (Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector) on the end of an RG-59 coax cable.
The satellite dish would have a (screw-on) F-connector on the end of an RG-6/U cable.
Note: RG-6 is double-shielded and very slightly thicker than RG-59
I'd pay for a local installer to check the alignment of the dish and make sure the LNB is the right type, is working and is all connected properly and delivers the signal to the TV.

There's two RF cables in the living room. Both are brown and both had the traditional TV plug. Can't tell what the standard of cable is but they both look the same and I can't find any identifying lettering on either. There is also an RF cable in the sun lounger. I doubt if the previous owners/tenants would have had two terrestial RF cables into one room!

Fixes: 47

'F' connector

It is possible to get a short between core and shielding on these plugs resulting in no satellite found.
Dishes generally don't go out of alignment if left undisturbed...assuming the fixings are in reasonable condition.
The cable could be marked PF100.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation